Sparrow Alternative Email Client Making Its Way to the iPad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sparrow, the popular alternative email client, is coming to the iPad. The company has posted a teaser page where interested users can sign up to be notified when the client is closer to public release, as noted by The Next Web.

The iPhone version of Sparrow was missing a huge feature -- push notifications -- some would think necessary to an email program. The developers behind Sparrow have announced that they're working on an alternative method to enable push because Apple has refused to allow Sparrow to use the APIs necessary to make push work natively.

The Next Web thinks Sparrow's push notification service might be announced at the same time as the iPad app, speculating that next week's WWDC conference would be an excellent time for both announcements.

Article Link: Sparrow Alternative Email Client Making Its Way to the iPad

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Hopefully with iOS6 Apple will allow you to swap what app defaults. Like choosing another browser or default email client.

It's such a handy tweak on Jailbreak.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Hopefully with iOS6 Apple will allow you to swap what app defaults. Like choosing another browser or default email client.

It's such a handy tweak on Jailbreak.
We can wish, but chances are that will not see the light of day for a long time.

ImTheTechGuy

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
London, UK
Sparrow is a nice app.

Unless they add Exchange/MAPI/ActiveSync support and not just IMAP + POP, this app won't gain too much traction.

Also, it doesn't seem to address any issue that Mail.app has... to me its an email client that looks like a Twitter app...

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
why is this?
I think they wanted to use the VOIP API to simulate a permanently running background app that could check for new mail in the background. Without it, the Sparrow developers would have to run a push notification server which they didn't feel like they could afford/support/justify. Something to that effect. And Apple wasn't going to allow them to use the VOIP multitasking API for a non-VOIP purpose.

Apple should allow this or make a slightly different variation of the API for apps like this - as it probably doesn't use much more data/battery life than Skype listening for calls in the background.

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks this is an odd coincidence? I'm thinking Sparrow might have been working with Apple and implemented some new developer feature in iOS 6.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I won't pay again. The not-so-perfect reviews of the iPhone app mention sometimes: "Make it a universal app".
It's a good email client but it "should" be for $3. I guess the feature I like the most really is not having to leave Sparrow to visit linked websites and easy attachments.

We'll see what changes iOS 6 brings to Apple's native email client.

ibri

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Will I have to pay again?
Yeah, if the developer thinks I'm going to drop a gallon-of-gas-sized chunk of change on this, they've got another thing coming.

----------

Sparrow for iPhone addresses nearly all of the criticisms I have of built-in mail. I 'm really looking forward to this.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Spam filter?

We'll see what changes iOS 6 brings to Apple's native email client.
A spam filter would be nice... wouldn't believe it doesn't have one if I wouldn't have 2 iPads and an iPhone. Spam filters are something so basic its just mindbobbeling that it's not standard in all email clients. In order to filter what junk I get sent to my iDevices, I would have to create an extra email address and auto-foreward the filtered mail from my home PC to that address... too complicated. That is for having the same email addy since 1997. :rolleyes:

danthespaceman

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Until I can use Sparrow as my default mail app on iOS, I don't see the point. Any time I want share content via email from another app, I'll always be sent back to Apple's Mail app. Same thing if I click a mailto: link on a web page.

I love the Mac version though.

Snypod

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Sparrow is a nice app.

Unless they add Exchange/MAPI/ActiveSync support and not just IMAP + POP, this app won't gain too much traction.

Also, it doesn't seem to address any issue that Mail.app has... to me its an email client that looks like a Twitter app...
It addresses the two main issues Mail.app has for me, poor integration with Gmail and a UI I'm not fond of.

Until I can use Sparrow as my default mail app on iOS, I don't see the point. Any time I want share content via email from another app, I'll always be sent back to Apple's Mail app. Same thing if I click a mailto: link on a web page.

I love the Mac version though.
It only solves half of your complaint, but if you jailbreak your device you can make Sparrow the default email client for mailto: links by installing Sparrow+. Personally I don't mind also keeping my login info saved in "Settings/Mail..." so that I can share content via email from within other apps, specifically because doing so only opens a quick compose sheet and not the full Mail app.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
A spam filter would be nice... wouldn't believe it doesn't have one if I wouldn't have 2 iPads and an iPhone. Spam filters are something so basic its just mindbobbeling that it's not standard in all email clients.
The most effective spam filter is on your mail account. Any spam filter in the mail client should just be picking up strays that slip through. If you rely heavily on the client side spam filter then the spam filter on your mail account is either not turned on or really sucks.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Sacramento
Solves three big issues for me. Gmail integration, attachments to emails within the app, and different signatures for different accounts.

But you're right - if they added Exchange support Sparrow would take off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.