Sparrow for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jtflyer, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jtflyer macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have been very disapointed with mail.app with my gmail account (due to duplicate because of labels) and as I use a mba with a 128GB ssd I am trying to save space.

I have downloaded Sparrow for Mac (Lite version) and i wanted to know if I could make a local copy of my gmail account: the sparrow folder (in the library folder) is 600MB and my gmail account around 900MB?

Thanks for your help!

jtflyer

2. chi11ax macrumors newbie

Hi I love Sparrow! I've used it for a while but mainly to search between many email accounts.

Have you tried offline Gmail if you only have one account?

3. jtflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm no I haven't tried, is it an application or you use it through your browser?

4. tommot82 macrumors regular

5. xizar macrumors regular

I also use Sparrow to manage more than a few gmail accounts, as well as a Google Apps email account.

My only reservation about the app is that I can't alt-tab to it, even if it's an open window.

6. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Odd. I'm able to alt-tab no problem.

Regarding Sparrow and local copies....Comparing gmail and sparrow may not be apples-apples comparison. Sparrow may do things like compress the local email copies. Send an email to the developer; am sure you'll get a better answer there (and please post back with what you find out).

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Just so you know, you can sort of take care of the Gmail problem by changing certain settings within Gmail. There are quite a few guides out there (I just can't find the ones I visited recently!). I suppose the extent to which you want to make those changes depends on how much you use their tags. I find them incredibly useless and annoying so anything I can do to minimize their presence...Also, gmail POP mail works fine in Mail, but doesn't sync, of course.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help about Sparrow. Thought I mention it in case Sparrow doesn't work out.

8. jtflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies:
    - offline gmail seem to only store emails from the past 31 days I would like a complete backup of my emails
    - I have emailed the Sparrow developper and I wil you keep you informed

jtflyer

9. xizar macrumors regular

You have it set to sit in the Dock, don't you? Mine just sits in the system tray. (or whatever it's called in OS X.)

10. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

sparrow

I'm a newbie to mac and also just downloaded sparrow but cant see a icon to delete messages from the trash can . I know it uses imap so is it the fact that you can delete messages to the trash but imap wont allow them to be deleted from the trash? ie. does sparrow delete them on its own or what?

11. jtflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

here's what they told me:

12. Nikh macrumors regular

Just curious - didn't you try free Mozilla Thunderbird? I'm using it on Windows and everything goes pretty well now with 2Gb+ mail database (before there were some glitches and problems).

13. jtflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

How does it deal with the labels in gmail?