Sparrow Push is live!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hch3psa, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hch3psa macrumors member

hch3psa

I am so grateful to the JB community. Now I can fully utilize this app. I can't wait for NC integration.

2. Blue Ivy macrumors member

I don't trust a Cydia tweak to connect with my email service, especially when its a 3rd party app like Sparrow. This tweak could easily steal your Gmail account and information!

3. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

i cant background any audio with this tweak installed. I rebooted after but no good. After i removed the tweak I am able to background audio again. I tried my Instacast and Music.app and both same issue. I have reported it to the dev.

4. phonehead6720 macrumors newbie

Killed background audio for me too. I'm sure the developer knows by now, till then I'll uninstall it and subscribe to this thread for when it's fixed. Too bad, it works well otherwise!

5. ndfootball macrumors newbie

Technically each jailbreak could have spyware and we wouldn't even know.

6. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Push notifications only work while the app is running in the background or can you quit/close the app and still get notifications?

----------

Nevermind, I found my answer--only works while app is running.

7. tiwizard macrumors regular

Supposedly this just enables the "push" that was already coded into Sparrow, but was disabled to comply with Apple's policies.

Background audio is fixed with the new version the developer posted on Twitter (if you know how to install deb files), and it's coming to Cydia soon.

8. Kimcha macrumors regular

Hi,

I am the developer of this tweak and the issue has been fixed. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    I understand your mistrust, and for whatever it is worth: I promise Sparrow Push is not stealing your email information.

Greetings, Kim

9. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I can vouch that the updated package does fix the audio issue. So far its working flawlessly! All i need is Sparrow to support POP email and it'll take over the mail.app on my dock. So far, its my goto app to check email on manually or when something is pushed.

10. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Cool that Kim took the time to respond to his future and current customers, good stuff.

11. siorai macrumors 6502

Same here. It's a great app and handles gmail perfectly, but without POP functionality it's only halfway useful.

12. hch3psa thread starter macrumors member

hch3psa

Glad the dev posted in here. This tweak is wonderful and like posted above, as far as I was aware this basically re-enabled the code that Sparrow already had in the app. It has nothing to do with your passwords or email. Just enable the API for push. Glad the audio issue is fixed. I've got this running again and I can't wait for NC integration.

13. phonehead6720 macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for this great tweak! While the mail is now being pushed, the contents of the email do not load until I open the app and wait, unlike the native email app. For example, I will see the header when I open the app and then the spinning begins and it loads the email. In the native app the email is already cached and loaded when the new mail comes in. I hope this makes sense. Is this something to do with the way the push is handled on sparrow that is different than the native app, or is this something that can be tweaked in a future release of your tweak? For reference I am using gmail exchange settings with the native app. Thanks again for the great work!

14. phonehead6720 macrumors newbie

Kimcha, any response to my questions above? Thanks!

15. Kimcha macrumors regular

Hey guys,

The message loading is how Sparrow implemented it. It could be changed, but is a low priority for me at the moment.

NotificationCenter integration is working and system integration (ability to use the in-app mail window) is coming along well too!

16. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Awesome! Can't wait!

17. cyclone84 macrumors regular

Any chances we'll see the system integration update soon? Thanks!

18. sh0ebox macrumors member

Did this tweak stop working for anyone else since the Sparrow 1.1 update?

19. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Yes mine stopped working as well. Hoping for an update soon.

20. tiwizard macrumors regular

Developer is updating it now and gave an ETA of Sunday (tomorrow)

21. aug0211 macrumors newbie

Any update from Kim on this one? :)

22. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

23. aug0211 macrumors newbie