Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Hi

What function does a sparse disc image bundle fulfill?

What happens if I delete it to create more disc space?

Thanks
Rogco

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You'll have to be more specific...

It sounds like you've obtained a sparse image from somewhere. As to whether it's safe to delete it, well, that depends on what's in it :)

rogco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for your reply

The Sparse folder only becomes visible via using Disc Inventory X.

In

HD/Users/.Myuser/Myuser.sparsebundle

Each of these files has identical disc space of 133gb.

Not sure of the function of the Sparse bundle but could do with the 133gb of space if it is of no use. ( I am thinking I might have created it by mistake while fiddling where I shouldn't have been.

Thanks
Rogco

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Do you use any encryption software (such as File Vault)? I don't have a sparse bundle in /Users on my machine, but it looks like it could be used for account security.

rogco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Yep - I do use File Vault, but didn't think it would duplicate user file. Do you think that is what has happened?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Do not delete that. That is the permanent copy of all of your files. If you delete that, you will lose everything, and have to restore from your backup (assuming you have one).

FileVault works by creating a disk image (the sparsebundle you found), and encrypting it. Everytime you log into your computer, it opens up that sparsebundle and you work from the files contained within (invisibly to you). When you log out, all those files are wrapped back up and are now inaccessible without your password.

Again, DO NOT DELETE THAT FILE.

jW

rogco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
That explains the function and if I understand correctly it doesn't actually take up any extra space.
I'll leave it alone.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.