Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddy13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I sent my old and dying machine in and the service place cloned it over to my new machine. All seems to be identical except a sparse disk image that I had to protect personal files. It's just not there. I haven't been able to get onto the old machine to verify yet if it's still there. Would the cloning process have left it off the new machine? Would it's location inside the library folder of my hard drive have become noticed during the cloning process? Could the tek people have cracked it open? Nothing earth shattering on it but still personal stuff. Thanks.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I doubt the tech people are interested in your personal information, and if it was password protected, it is highly unlikely they could have accessed it anyway.

Why it did not clone over, that I cannot say. It should have brought all files over. What process did they use?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper should have completely cloned the drive with all files

However, if that file was corrupt, it may not have been copied

I would check with the service company and see what process they used
And I would try to locate the file on the old machine if possible

And use this as an opportunity to establish your own redundant backup process
I use Time Machine AND Carbon Copy Cloner

freddy13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
migration assistant was used to bring the old machine over to the new one

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
migration assistant was used to bring the old machine over to the new one

Then that's likely your problem, because that isn't a clone
It would not look for your sparse image in the Library Folder

If you have access to the old machine and/or HD, you should still be able to locate it and retrieve it

freddy13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I just double checked with them and they said the tech that did the work isn't in but they use carbon copy cloner and if that fails then they use migration assistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.