Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
I keep a Sparse Image on a password protected external HDD.
It was created with computer A with FileFault turn on *not sure whether that matters) and the password to open the Sparse image is saved in the Keychain.

Now on a different laptop, also running Sierra, the HDD does mount but the I can't open the Sparse image despite typing the password correctly.

Someone *please* let me know how to fix this. The research I have done on Google points to the user's permissions.

If I boot from my external backup for the first computer (cloned Macintosh HD) and mount that external HDD containing the Sparse image, it opens fine.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
1. I learned that the hard way: that Sparse Image was indeed created under a previous version of macOS.

2. Why is that bad practice?
Note: I know it's probably not what you were referring to but I use different passwords for the Sparse Image and the Keychain.

So then what's the best policy for archiving data and securing it then? Could you please advise?

Thank you for helping.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If I boot from my external backup for the first computer (cloned Macintosh HD) and mount that external HDD containing the Sparse image, it opens fine.

What OS X version are you booting from on this external?

I have an encrypted sparse bundle I have used across OS X versions with no issues.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Right now I am on 10.12.2.

The Sparse Image or Bundle (have to mount the HDD to check which it is and will correct my OP) was created in a previous version of macOS and it was fine.

My issue arose when I switched laptop a year ago and the username on the new laptop I set up was different from the one used to create the Image on the previous laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.