Sparsebundle dumping content?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by el-John-o, Aug 21, 2014.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey all

So I wanted to be able to store my FCPX content on my home server, and I've done so using a method I read about where you create a sparsebundle, save it on the server, and just mount it when needed.

Only problem is, whenever I save content to that sparsebundle (whether via FCPX or just dragging and dropping a file, any file), and unmount it, and mount it again; it's empty. Always empty. While it's mounted, I can add/view/modify files no problem. But once I unmount it, it seems to completely empty itself.

Thoughts? I've never had this issue with a sparsebundle before.

2. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow over 200 views and not a single response? Guess I'm the only one experiencing this! Lol.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw your first post and actually subscribed to the thread I was so curious, but I got nothin. :(

Are you absolutely positive you are copying the files to the correct spot before ejecting?

4. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I am. Using several methods. I guess it just won't work like this!

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Let's ask the obvious question: what is the home server OS? Filesystem format?

Since sparse bundles are the same as Time Machine backups (copying to a sparse bundle), Apple only supports, basically, Apple formatted drives and servers.

"Time Machine can’t back up to [...] a disk formatted for Windows."

"If your backup disk is on a network, the network server must use Apple File Protocol (AFP) file sharing, and both your Mac, and the networked backup disk, should have Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later. The AFP disk must also be “mounted” (available to your Mac)."

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14168

I believe you can do all the work you want to the bundle on a Mac, and once unmounted, can then move to a non OS X server.

Then again, have never done this myself, so, probably talking out my keister.

6. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, that's probably the issue! I wasn't aware of that. I guess I could load it and move it back; but the sparsebundle itself is hosted on a Windows server (not a high end studio here; just my house. Using an older Windoze PC I obtained that sits in my basement as a basic file and backup server)

Well, that solves the issue then I guess. Can't do it that way!

I realize why it wouldn't work at the 'industry level', and all the other related issues. But I wish FCPX had native network support for those of us using it for basic home stuff.