SparseImage on MS-DOS formatted external HDD? [SuperDuper] [10.5.2]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GloStix, Apr 6, 2008.

1. GloStix macrumors member

I have to return my MBP because the entire case wobbles cause it's warped and the right fan makes an annoying high pitched noise.
    Anyway, I decided to back up my HDD using SuperDuper and making a sparse image.
    I saved it to my desktop and went to work, came back and it said it was unsuccessful due to insufficient space so I'm thinking "Oh, I'll just put it on my External HDD (WD Passport)" and then finish it after transferring. But I get an error and I'm assuming it's because it's Windows formatted..
    Problem is that I have a lot of backed up programs, videos, homework, etc. and I don't want to reformat it for mac...
    Is there a way around this? I'm thinking of partitioning my External HDD and formating that partition for mac. I don't really know how to do that though.

Any Thoughts? I'm sure I'm not the only one.:(

2. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

It will not work. Fat-32 partitions only allow file sizes up to 4GB, and I am sure your image is much larger than this. (I recently had this problem.)

Good luck!

3. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

So I'd have to reformat it into NTFS? wow that's gay.
    How the hell am I supposed to back up anything on my MBP?

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

OS X can't write to an NTFS partition. You're going to have to format it as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive, but obviously that entails losing everything on the drive at the moment, so back it up first!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

The Apple Dictionary definition of gay is:
    1 homosexual
    2 lighthearted and carefree

No where did it even mention NTFS or formatting.
    I'd say your definition of gay is misconstrued but thats besides the point.

Have you thought about copying what on your external HD to HD of your MBP then formatting the external HD then copying everything back to the external.

6. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Forget about the gay part; it's of zero importance.

If you can connect to a PC via ethernet or something, you should be able to transfer the file over the network regardless of the file size.

7. chscag macrumors 68000

There are free Windows programs available to re-partition your external HDD and make room for a Mac HFS+ extended partition. Do a Google search.

When you find one, run it from your Win Machine with the drive attached and make room on the drive for the Mac partition. I keep a copy of Partition Magic around for just that reason - however, Partition Magic is not free. Do not use "Disk Administrator" from XP as it will not perform a non destructive re-partition. Make sure any partitioning program you use states that it will resize non-destructively.

Once you've made room on the external drive, format the new partition as HFS+ and then press on with SuperDuper and complete the backup.

Regards.

8. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

That what I was going to do. Is there any mac version of partition magic? I already own partition magic btw.

PS: All the comments above the one I'm quoting were completely useless. Especially the idiot who thinks defining a word used in a slang context makes him feel smarter.