spdif and headphone jack

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Freis968, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I am currently using the Klipsch 2.1 speaker system plugged into the headphone jack. Sometimes just the imac speakers are good enough to use and I don't need the Klipsch speakers on. Well, this means I have to continually plug/unplug the 1/8" jack from the headphone jack from the back of the Mac. It would be so much easier if I could just leave the jack in and be able to select it from the Sys Prefs, but I cannot do this since the 1/8" jack is the only jack available other than the spdif jack. From some quick reading I see that there is no such thing as a cheap spdif to 1/8" adapter with a DAC. Is there perhaps some app that will bypass the Klipsch 2.1 system that I am not aware of to let me use the iMac speakers or do I just have to keep plugging/unplugging the jack from the back of the Mac?

2. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Excuse for being a little slow in the head, but why not just leave the external speakers on all the time.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Kind of what I was thinking. It's sort of like he's trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

4. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I like to turn everything off at night, no need to have a speaker system on along with my iMac.

Thanks for your interest however.