Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I recently picked up a Decklink HD card to hook an HD preview monitor up to my FCP edit suite. To keep audio in sync with the video, I need to output the audio via the Decklink's SPDIF coax connector.

Only one problem... my audio mixer can't take an SPDIF digital signal! I need to find the cheapest way possible to convert the SPDIF digital coax to an analog signal - my mixer takes 1/4", XLR, or RCA inputs.

So far, the cheapest way I can find is to buy an inexpensive home theater system with an SPDIF coax input and RCA outputs. Going that route, I could use the home theater system as a converter... but it would still set me back $100-$125.

Anyone know of a cheaper solution? I would think there must be some sort of converter out there.... but maybe not.

In any case, any help I can get is appreciated! As always, thanks in advance!

Quantum Man

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2006
New York
As far as DA converters for music go, they aren't cheap. If you don't need very good to great quality DA conversion, then you should go with the cheap home theater solution. Entry level DA converters can go for about $500 used.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Quantum Man said:
As far as DA converters for music go, they aren't cheap. If you don't need very good to great quality DA conversion, then you should go with the cheap home theater solution. Entry level DA converters can go for about $500 used.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll go the home theater route, then. It looks like the most affordable way to go.

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Don't forget in Audio usually 44.1 KHz... but in Video 48KHz - this is THE sync killer!

I just talked to an engineer, he only uses cheap RCA cable for S/PDIF - and always works ( musician too )

Just remember the 48 KHz clock....

Good luck,

Wait, the $9 wallmart DVD players have converters.... use those!!!

LT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.