Speaker / Alarm Clock docks

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 545h4, Jul 31, 2008.

1. 545h4 macrumors newbie

How long do you think it is going to take for the speaker dock market to catch up with the iPhone? From what I understand there are only a couple currently that are shielded from the GSM noise.

I need a new mini stereo, and would love to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, getting the charge and sound out of my iPhone at once, but I don't think investing in one of the mid-range (price-wise) speaker docks is really what I'm after. The sound quality doesn't have to be symphony-rated, just sufficient for general listening. I just don't want to go get a cheap-o iHome and listen to the static before calls, or deal with putting it in airplane mode every time... So, what's the word on the street???

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

Is the GSM noise there all the time or like 2-3 seconds before the phone rings?

I get the GSM noise on speakers here at work a few seconds before the phone actually rings.

3. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

GSM noise can occur anytime the phone goes out for data over the network so if you have mail setup to fetch/push then it will occur randomly or when you get a text message. To prevent this you need a dock that is made to prevent noise from the speakers by using shielding.

4. rhyx macrumors 6502

Completely forgot about data transfers. I was thinking if the phone is ringing I would pick it up anyways to answer it. Who cares about the music.

Should be interesting to see what comes out.

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

One thing I've noticed is that I get no interference when on 3G...only when I get kicked back to Edge or when I turn off 3G. With the popularity here of turning off 3G to improve reception...some people may not realize this benefit of leaving 3G on.