Speaker Blown on 2017 17" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cergman, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I've got a 2017 15" rMBP with the 4GB dGPU and 512GB SSD that's just under 3 months old.

I was using my laptop earlier today and the left speaker started loudly popping repeatedly for about 15 seconds. Now the left speaker sounds like it's underwater.

I was just using messages and charging my phone on battery power - nothing crazy. Going to the Apple Store this weekend, but I'll more than likely have to send it out for a few days. Has anyone else had something similar happen? Any ways I can prevent this from happening after it's repaired?

thanks

2. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Nope. Just got unlucky.

3. TonyK macrumors 65816

TonyK

Will keep an eye out for your follow-up OP. That is never a good thing. However, sometimes the odds and statistics bite us in the rear and that may be what is up here.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Take it in and get it replaced.
    Then post here what they told you...

5. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

replaced? That sure would be nice, but seems unlikely. Do they not repair 2017s?

I have an appointment for Saturday. I'll let you guys know what happens.

6. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Went to the store and told them about the speaker and kernel panic issues I'm having. Suggested resolution was to replace logic board & speaker. They didn't say anything about it being a common issue.

Total cost for a FLAT RATE 2 REPAIR, MBP15"-TB would be $800. Thankfully I have AppleCare.

7. rboyd5589 Suspended

rboyd5589

If I were you I would take it back to the pawn shop you thought you got a "smoking" deal at and stop being a cheap skate, pull your wallet out, and Annie up to get one from apples website. You will thank me later.