Speaker Broken?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan.go.habs, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ryan.go.habs macrumors regular

Today I was listening to music on my iPhone 3G through the bottom speaker and all of a sudden the music faded slowly as if a call was coming through. But nothing happened, it said music was still playing but the speaker on the bottom wasnt working. If I crank the volume 100% and press my ear against the speaker I can barely hear it. But I have tried everything including a restore and nothing will fix it. What should I do?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Had you been listening on headphones at about the same time?

If so, try inserting and removing the headphones a few times.

If that doesn't work, take it back to Apple for a replacement.

3. ryan.go.habs thread starter macrumors regular

But if it thought the headphones were in, wouldnt it be completely silent on the bottom? I can still BARELY here with the volume cranked. It sounds clear but its very very faint.

4. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

Does music still play through the headphone jack?

Furthermore, try calling your iPhone and placing the call on speakerphone and see if the call still plays sound through the speaker.

If yes, then there's a software/firmware issue. If you can't play speakerphone calls, then your external speaker has malfunctioned. Take it to a nearest Apple Store, your warranty is still valid.

5. ryan.go.habs thread starter macrumors regular

yes music still plays through the headphone jack and no speakerphone doesn't work. I live in Canada and there are no apple stores in Manitoba so I have to settle for the rogers store?

6. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

Well, what you're gonna have to do is get the whole phone replaced. For some reason the speaker just blew itself out. Because you're still under warranty, and there's no sign of a drop or water damage, so they should be able to get the phone replaced.