Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Whenever my MacBook's sound is on mute and the computer wants to play a sound, the speaker has this little click noise.

For example, I mute the sound and go to trash a file. It trashes normally, but at the beginning, the speakers click (almost like they want to play that empty trash noise, but cannot because it is mute).

Any ideas on a fix? Thanks.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I know my speakers make a click before they play a sound, maybe its just sending power to the speakers because a sound is trying to be played, but it can't play because the volume is 0.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Same here, but with a Mac mini connected to external speakers.

I've got a stereo -> RCA cable going into a JVC RX-450 receiver which outputs to a pair of Scott Omni 3.3s through 16-gauge copper speaker wire with a pretty thick (clear) coating . (I love the setup, but the Omnis' 4'' and 12'' drivers need to be replaced.)

I really, really, really doubt it, but it may be electromagnetic interference. I've got a Studio 540 going, encoding DVDs pretty much all day within two feet of my mini. I'd move it, but I'm lazy. Try your MacBook in your yard or basement or anywhere without any type of electronic.

My best guess it that it's a fault in the OS. Maybe reset PRAM?

I know my speakers make a click before they play a sound, maybe its just sending power to the speakers because a sound is trying to be played, but it can't play because the volume is 0.

I doubt it. When you change the volume of the speakers or headphones or whatever in any device, you are changing the amount of power going to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.