Speaker dock vs. Traditional stereo/boombox w/ AUX

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by n54power, Feb 22, 2011.

1. n54power macrumors newbie

What are the benefits of a iPod/iPhone specific Speaker Dock (ie Bose Sounddock) Vs. a traditional stereo or boombox with an Auxillary input?

The speaker docks seem to offer lesser sound quality/capability for a significantly higher price? Not to mention the complications when trying to plug a cased device into the 30 pin dock. What am I missing here?

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

audio passes digitally thru dock connector, so it's clearer. (it's not influenced by the quality of the cable) iPod/iPad/iPhone get charged when docked.

3. Roadking macrumors 6502

What he said ^

Especially the charging part.

Someone just posted another thread about a sound dock that used bluetooth. I like that idea so you don't have to take your phone out of your case. Naturally you can't take advantage of the charging aspect of it, but it gives you more options.

www.soundfreaq.com sp?

4. n54power thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that makes sense. What are some of the better Speaker Docks out there?

I read through dozens of reviews, it seems like the best buys in the $300-400 range are the Bose Portable Sounddock and Monster Beatbox by Dr. Dre. I really like the rechargeable battery/travel feature in the Bose, but I read the bass level is lacking in this system. What do you guys think of the Monster Beatbox?

Bose Portable Soundock:
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ounddock_systems/sounddock_portable/index.jsp

Beatbox:
    http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5772

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If you can live without the portability aspect, I would look at a home theater-in-a-box or a A/V receiver which has a ipod port or usb port and an apple universal dock or apple iPhone 4 dock. You should be able to buy either one for close to the same price (I realize an A/V receiver does not include speakers).

Regardless, I would not support either one of these extremely-overpriced, advertisement-driven companies.
    All Bose products are poor performers in anything other stylish plastic designs.
    And Monster Cables is the same company that sells $150 12' HDMI cables at Best Buy.

If you are set on buying a speaker dock, look at the one made by Klipsch. At least Klipsch produces speakers for audio enthusiasts.

6. n54power thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you guys think of the Altec Lansing inMotion MIX iMT800 Portable Digital Boom Box?