Speaker for iPad wanted, loudness required

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by diannao, May 29, 2012.

1. diannao macrumors regular

I'm interested in a speaker for the iPad which is loud enough to be heard from 3 meters away while I'm in the shower. Perhaps I should be looking at boomboxes with audio in instead of BT speakers?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I was searching for this as well. Thought about a Jawbone Jambox, but didn't want to spend that much.

Picked up this at Target for $99: http://bit.ly/LCkchx

So far, I love it.

3. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Soundfreaq Sound Kick is louder and doesn't vibrate off tables for half the price. Wish they'd fix that.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

Jam box too much
    Altech Lansing at 100 does the job for me

5. Jamie37211 macrumors regular

iHome Bluetooth Portable

I have this as a portable solution - my home solution is a Samsung soundbar with Bluetooth or my AppleTV - and I have to say that, for the price ($51.99), it is a more than adequate solution for a smaller chunk of change than the Jambox It does suffer a bit from the vibration mentioned upthread, but only at extremely high volumes. I am very satisfied overall. If price is important, I would recommend this.

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Mac too much. PC at half the price does the job.

7. MajorTCS macrumors regular

Bose Soundlink makes plenty of noise, I prefer it to the Jawbone.

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I loled, because my jam box definitely moves all over the place when it's in use. Luckily it's never fallen off of any tables, or countertops but I've definitely watched it vibrate around a bit. If you can stomach the price, I'd say go for it, great product, the only drawback was the price.

9. diannao thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions; now I've got some research to do.

10. glen e, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

I have been on a quest for about the past 18 months to find a speaker that I can use with my iPad when I do presentations in hotel conference rooms. IT HAS TO PACK WELL. So many just dont fit well in a timbuk2 or saddleback bag along with projectors, MBAs and other stuff on the road. The rooms are usually big, like for 30-50 people, and I have found most just don't fill the room with enough sound when you're showing a video clip. I started with a Logitech Z505 and it was pretty good, except it didn't pack very well it was pretty bulky. I then moved to an iPad logitec sound bar that Simply was not loud enough. I went back to Best Buy and looked at this altech Lansing below and decided for $99 to take the plunge... it works perfectly..... it fills a complete hotel conference room. I also use it as an alarm clock with an altech app on iPhone. It does not have Bluetooth but that doesn't bother me. I have found the Bluetooth in a room of 15 or 20 people all using Bluetooth phones tends to get interrupted every now and then so I'm going back to hard wire.

I recommend the one below, it packs extremely well, is loud and is a good quality build.

http://www.alteclansing.com/ae/us/ipod-iphone-speakers/imt630-classic-imt630/invt/imt630/

[​IMG]

11. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Get the Jawbone!
    If you want to save a few bucks and need portability, get the small one.
    If you want the best possible sound and have an extra $100, get the big one.

12. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

13. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Isn't that a mono speaker? Looks nice, but if it's mono...

----------

Yup. Weight out the pros and cons. That's what I did.

I've had the Jawbone Jambox, Logitech, Monster Clarity and iHome. Wanted something that was bluetooth with a rechargeable battery so I could leave it in the bathroom, and have my iPhone in another room. Soundfreaq was the best for that. It is much louder than the Jambox, doesn't vibrate off the counter in the bathroom, and I can just leave my iPhone in the other room, turn on the Soundfreaq and press play and it'll just pick up where my iPhone's iPod left off.

If I were you, I'd try a few out. Most stores, Target, Amazon, Best Buy, to name a few, have great return policies.

14. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

No, the Magic Cube is their mono loudspeaker.

15. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Logitech Bluetooth Boombox

Had to pass up this Logitech Bluetooth Boombox at Amazon that comes with $50.00 in MP3 download credit.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338477505&sr=1-1

16. maniacphoner macrumors regular

I've had the Jawbone Jambox, Logitech, Monster Clarity and iHome. Wanted something that was bluetooth with a rechargeable battery so I could leave it in the bathroom, and have my iPhone in another room. Soundfreaq was the best for that. It is much louder than the Jambox, doesn't vibrate off the counter in the bathroom, and I can just leave my iPhone in the other room, turn on the Soundfreaq and press play and it'll just pick up where my iPhone's iPod left off.

If I were you, I'd try a few out. Most stores, Target, Amazon, Best Buy, to name a few, have great return policies.[/QUOTE]

Did you end up purchasing one for yourself after weighing out the pros & cons and checking some of the products at the stores?

17. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Yup. Posted a link to it in this thread. I bought the Soundfreaq Sound Kick and use it every day.

18. eg2007 macrumors 6502

19. pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

I like my Jambox but agree with you about the vibration issue.

20. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it drove me nuts. Tried to put pads on the bottom, wound up just returning it.

21. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

22. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

I saw this at Target a few weeks ago and wasn't sure about it..
    I went out and picked this up this morning and I'm very happy with it!
    Thanks !

23. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Glad you dig it. I was skeptical too until I read that iLounge review. Crank the thing up every day! :)

24. soundtracker macrumors member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like the Soundfreaq is what I'm looking for as well. Very descriptive explanations like yours are awesome :)