Speaker Grills have aluminum in them

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrew086, Jun 5, 2010.

1. andrew086 macrumors regular

I have a 15" macbook pro. I've MRoogle'd this issue and couldn't find any answers. My speaker grills don't have any kind of food in them, but it seems like some of the holes haven't been completely cut out. I'll try to get a picture later if possible. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

2. Mirabella macrumors regular

If the speaker grille part of your MBP's case is not properly drilled all the way through, then it is defective. Take it in to an Apple store and get a replacement of that part.

3. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

damn. I have a wrapsol on here :p. If only it weren't unibody haha. Guess I'll have to see if I can get a replacement for the wrapsol :rolleyes:

4. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

you can see it on the top part of the speaker

Attached Files:

• mbp.png
      mbp.png
      File size:
      188.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

any smaller resolution picture would help us see it, see if you can get a kodak polaroid to take a picture and then mail it to all of us

6. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

you honestly can't see that? if you really couldn't see it you could have just asked.

7. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

lol I know but how much more epic was that response? my bad it was just funny but yeah try taking a higher resolution pic and preferably up close, use a macro setting on your camera if you have one

8. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

here you go hellen keller
    (the top part is brighter than the bottom and also a bit along the side, that's where it's filled)
    [​IMG]

sorry if it's hard to tell, the camera I was using was retarded and I had to go to auto settings, let it auto focus, then go to manual so it wouldn't flash so it turned out a little blurry.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Look, if you're asking for help, you're first going to have to help us help you. You can post a tiny picture of a series of tiny holes from what is quite the distance and expect us to recognise a situation that your eyes and mind have seen up close for themselves.

It might also help if you post a picture...from the top. So that holes that aren't drilled the whole way are visible.

10. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

I did it from that view because it was more emphasized. It's harder to see from above, but you can still see it.

Attached Files:

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

For what it's worth, I could've seen it in the enlarged 1st photo, but it was very hard to distinguish the holes as it appeared to be shadows from the light of the lamp nearby (you can see it because your eyes are trained to see it).

In that second photo, I can definitely see your problem. If you can reach an Apple Store it would definitely not hurt to ask and demand/insist (politely) that the Genius replace it.

12. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Now I see what you mean, if you care about it, take it to the apple store and let them know, you did pay a lot for the machine so it should be perfect... if you don't care that much, just let it be... as long as the sound is coming out of the speakers.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If it bothers you enough then have the machine either exchanged or repaired. There's nothing we can do for you. For the record, I can recall seeing one prior thread where someone had a similar problem, although I believe his was less extensive.

14. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

get a small needle and see if you can poke them out, maybe they're drilled just not completely through

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I wouldn't advice that. Metal fragments could find themselves bridging (shorting) two connections that should not be.

16. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

When I got mine, it was like that. I took it to the apple store and they told me the grills still had some shavings in them. They took it in the back and used a needle and canned air to get it out. Looks good, but still is a little rough at the tops of the grills.

I hope this helped you. Good luck!

17. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

18. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That may be true (or it may not; I don't know), but he's better off taking it to Apple than attempting to fix it himself. At least that way if something breaks he's covered.

19. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

You never know… isn't it better to be on the safe side?:apple:

20. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

what's the worst thing that can happen? the mobo shorts out and apple replaces it with a new one under warranty? :confused: lol

21. kezman macrumors newbie

Do speaker grills usually come with free food?