speaker hiss

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wywern209, Jan 10, 2010.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

So, here's the story. I have a ps3 and i would like to use my 6-7 yr old Sony DAV-S500 Home theater system. So i dug it out and i found it could be hooked up using a optical cable. Anyways, i noticed that at lower volumes, there was speaker hiss. I am unsure if it is only the left speaker or something but there is some speaker hiss that is inaudible once you crank up the volume but in quiet parts of a CD, i was able to hear the hiss. Does anyone have clues as to what may be causing this hiss?I would love to just replace the receiver but then my speakers wold be useless as well because sony uses proprietary speaker connection and not willing to splice some standard connectors onto them.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

proprietary wire connections? Its likely just plugs that you could easily cut off and wire straight to any regular set.

3. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Usually this hiss is caused by a ground loop. Although it tends to have more of a hum than a hiss. Try plugging your tv, ps3, and sound system in different outlets if you can. Try different combinations, but I think separating the sound system and the ps3 on different outlets would do the trick.

Are you using a power strip with a surge protector, they usually have something in them to prevent ground loops.

4. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

I only have the reciever itself outputting sound thru its DVD drive. There is nothing connected to it right now. And it is connected to a surge protector.

5. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

I would love to just snip them off but my parent's are a bit iffy about that as they purchased it a few yrs back. That and the fact that I don't exactly have the cash to splurge on a new receiver right now.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hissing is usually caused (in my experience) from a loose connection or a faulty speaker. Is the hiss coming from all of them? If so there may be a problem with the receiver itself.

7. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

Well, i don't hear it when i crank up the volume. it is only audible if i use the receiver as an amp for a set of HP. if i am about 4-5 feet away, i don't hear it. and it could be the pre-amp in the receiver degrading due to age.