Speaker ideas for mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by roybfr, Feb 8, 2009.

1. roybfr macrumors member

Since buying my mac pro I have been using a creative x-fi xmod and headphones. Recently I picked up a 30" lcd and started watching more movies and tv on the mac. I hooked up an old set of logitech 5.1 speakers up only to find out that I am limited to stereo as its inputs are mini jack and not optical or usb. Now I am trying to decide between a set of 5.1 logitech speakers that have usb or optical ins or pixking up a cheaper sound bar like the sony htct100. I kind of like the idea od the sony bar as it is just slightly wider then the monitor and only 3 to 4 inches tall, so it should fit nicely under the monitor.

Any opinions or other ideas?

2. Fomaphone macrumors regular

for watching movies, i love my logitech z5500's, using my optical out.

3. blimeys macrumors newbie

i have the soundstick ii and it is okie. however, low volume it is not good at all. mid-high its pretty banging.

i am thinking of getting the bose monitorstation but it cost $400! :(

4. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

I've got blue sky monitors (EXO) and I'm very impressed. What I've got is only 2.1, but they have 5.1 as well. If their 5.1 are as good as their EXO (2.1's), then it would be an awesome bit of kit.

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/default.asp

Cheers

5. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I've hard great things about he blue skys, I have Adam A7s studio monitors, the sound is awesome

6. undrgrndwmn macrumors newbie

OMG! I am in love ...

... with my Blue Sky eXo 2.1 system!

I went to the Apple store the other day and left with both the harmon kardon SoundSticks II and the Bose Companion 3 set. I find that it's very difficult to test speakers in store. So, I took them both home for an in-depth listening test.

Soundsticks ... decent sound reproduction. Just a hint of listening fatigue after a few hours, at anything but the lowest volumes. They seem a little bright to me, but overall I was impressed. Of course, the satellites have only 10w power per. That's just not enough volume to fill a decent size room. I'm going to keep them for use exclusively in my bedroom. They sound really nice in that room, and I won't generally want a lot of volume in there. Two slight annoyances in this speaker system ... no headphone jack (again, not to much of a big deal in the bedroom) and the volume control leaves A LOT to be desired. There's no visual representation of the volume, which could cause problems if you forget to turn the speakers down every time you use them.

The Bose Companion system ... just don't waste your money, folks! For the sound quality, these speakers shouldn't cost any more than $80-$100. They retail for $250. The bass is muddy, and way too much information gets lost in the mids and highs. The speakers produce a lot of volume for their size, but these speakers FAILED in 2 music tests ... jazz and house. They were actually pretty decent for gaming. It became really hard to pick out individual loops and lines and instruments in the music. It was an incomprehensible mess! Most music files ended up sounding as if they were an extremely low bitrate file, like 96 or 120 kpbs. The mids and treble sound flat and lack depth. It's especially inexcusable that the bass should be so muddy. They look nice ... they're tiny and cute, and if you have NO ROOM on your desk, then I can see how they'd be attractive. Again, though, no visual representation of volume, which can be a problem, though the volume interface is nice and is a separate wheel you can place on your desk with a headphone jack right in the front.

For the same money as that very, very crappy and disappointing Bose Companion set ... I have monitors capable of giving me goosebumps with their clarity of sound. Everything I've played on them sounds amazing. Thanks so much to whomever posted the review here. I did more research on these speakers and found out that they won a Remix contest for best low cost studio monitors. I can see why. There's a deep and rich bass response and there's enough room for the mids and treble to come out and play. There has to be ... they were designed for desktop production work, after all! Whether gaming, listening to music, or watching movies ... bravo!

It's great having such flexibility on the connection types. I can play my jazz and rnb collections on my turntable since the sub box includes an RCA connection!!! Whee! The remote control desktop box puts the sub and gain knobs within easy reach. The minijack and headphone jack connections are also there within easy reach so you're not constantly reaching behind the sub to plug and unplug different audio sources or fiddle with the sub output.

These speakers were designed with production work in mind. They are a thing of beauty and every bit worth the $260 I paid for them at Guitar Center. Note though, if you buy from Guitar Center, you should try them out in the store. I had to get one of the salepeople to dig a set out of the warehouse so I could take them for a test drive. The reason I did that is because GC charges a 15% restocking fee for open box returns. Another note ... the sub is fairly big ... the cone is like 8" across. To me, it's well worth the space to have the greater richness in the bass.

I honestly couldn't be happier.

7. Ploki macrumors 68020

man, if you have ADAM A7s, dont cry about Blue skys, ive worked with SAT 6.5 and its really not all that... at all. :S

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Speakers

If you can afford 2 Mac Pros and a 30" lcd, then you can probably afford to invest in some good speakers. A good pair of stereo speakers are much better than a similar priced 5.1 system.

9. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Yeah the Adam A7s are probably the best imo in the same price range and maybe maybe a little bit higher, the next step up for me would be Martin Audio or Barefoots (both would be great:))

10. Fomaphone macrumors regular

martin audio seems to be just PA's or huge speakers for venues. did you mean M Audio studio monitors?