Speaker Issue, anyone else have it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by StophMac24, May 14, 2015.

1. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

I have zero complaints with the watch I received. Everything, even speaker and haptic, has given me no problems until now.

This morning, I received a phone call and I could barely hear the person speaking to me through my watch. The volume was noticeably low (virtually nonexistent).

I ran with it this morning, rinsed it under water after the run and gone about my day as usual. (I have done this multiple times a week since I run several times a week. I rinse it under faucet to remove sweat residue.)

This afternoon after blasting the speaker port with air, the speaker now has a crackling sound and the volume comes in and out. A took a call and it sounded normal, then reverted to nearly no sound, then came back to normal.

Planning on making a genius bar appointment if the issue persists, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if it is just the nature of it getting wet and will maybe fix itself once it dries out.

Thanks for replies!

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The call may have been a problem on the other end or a one on anomaly. You should have tried another call to check this. If still a problem then reset your :apple:Watch and try again. Blasting an armature (the type of speaker used) with high pressure air is probably not a good idea and likely is the cause of the current problem (now damaged).

If the speaker (or mic) opening is 'clogged' with some type of gunk then water, mild soap and a small very soft brush is probably a better option to clean than pressurized air.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ding ding.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

No kidding. Blasting anything at a speaker is a BAD idea.

5. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Yeah, can't say I would have recommended that either :confused:

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The watch's manual specifically states not to use compressed air on the watch.

7. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

So how does one clean the dust bunnies and gunk and stuff that accumulates in the speaker holes?

8. StophMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

StophMac24

Lesson learned. Thankfully the speaker seems to be fine now. Took a few test calls and it was back to normal. Hopefully just an anomaly.

Thanks for the replies.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Sounds like you may have just gotten water in the speaker. It took time to dry out. :cool:

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep, very possible. I have a similar kind of issue with my aftermarket Viper alarm system on my car. I have another waterproof speaker under my car, and when the jets spray it at my nice car wash I like to go to, the siren is definitely quiet for a day or two before it dries out!