Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

I have a set of JBL Creature II Speakers that I've been wanting to hook up to my new iMac. I plug them into the headphone port, but I get no sound. All of the connections are in place and plugged into the right slots, and the balance level is equal on the Mac, and the volume level is turned all the way up.

I unplugged the speakers, and plugged in some headphones and those worked fine. But I just can't seem to get any sound out of these nice speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Pistol Pete said:
i have seen this before...

plug it in tight, i think the issure is that the creatures plug is an odd shape...

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

If anybody else has had any experience w/ this type of issue, please post.

Thanks again.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
berkleeboy210 said:
I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

If anybody else has had any experience w/ this type of issue, please post.

Thanks again.

I agree with the post above, I had the same problem when I purchased my creatures.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
i got this when i brought mine. look VERY VERY carefully at your cable ends for the 2 lil speakers, they need to be put in the correct ports and every cable has a special shape on the end which are difficult to plug in

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Okay Guys. I tried everything ya'll suggested and still no luck. I also have a pair of M-Audio Studio Pro Speakers, and plugged those in, and get no sound out of those either.

But the Internal Speakers on the iMac work fine though.

Any Ideas?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
berkleeboy210 said:
Okay Guys. I tried everything ya'll suggested and still no luck. I also have a pair of M-Audio Studio Pro Speakers, and plugged those in, and get no sound out of those either.

But the Internal Speakers on the iMac work fine though.

Any Ideas?

I am assuming you hit the power button on the sub? Also, hit the plus button on the right speaker to ensure the volume is up.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
berkleeboy210 said:
How do I do that on the iMac?

Hmm, I wonder if it is the same on the macintels. If so, here you go...

How to Zap PRAM

Zapping PRAM is simple, just reboot your Mac and hold down "Command(the Apple key)+Option(the Alt key)+P+R" while it is booting, when you hear the startup sound for the seond time the operation is complete, and you can release the key combination. Now just let your Mac boot as normal.

(from edesignuk's zap pram and run fsck thread)

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
nospleen said:
Hmm, I wonder if it is the same on the macintels. If so, here you go...

How to Zap PRAM

Zapping PRAM is simple, just reboot your Mac and hold down "Command(the Apple key)+Option(the Alt key)+P+R" while it is booting, when you hear the startup sound for the seond time the operation is complete, and you can release the key combination. Now just let your Mac boot as normal.

(from edesignuk's zap pram and run fsck thread)

Thanks man, I'll try that in a while and let you know the results.

Thanks for sticking with this thread all day! I appreciate it

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
berkleeboy210 said:
Thanks man, I'll try that in a while and let you know the results.

Thanks for sticking with this thread all day! I appreciate it

No problem at all!! I doubt it will work, but worth a shot.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
berkleeboy210 said:
yup headphones work fine. But every set of computer speakers that i have in the house won't.

so i will ask the stupid obvious question :). These speakers are known to actually work right? like plug them into an ipod or discman and you get sound, plug into the imac and nothing?

A possible lose connection for whatever makes the audio work in the imac?

Very slowly insert the speakers plug in and see if at any point you do get audio, obviously have a cd playing and the speakers on, maybe you can find a point where the audio does work but it isnt when the speakers are plugged in fully? i.e. just in mono

edit: do you have anything like a dual plug adapter for headphones? Also do the bands on the headphones plug line up exactly with the bands on the speaker plugs? Are the plugs all the same size? Maybe if the headphone plug is marginally shorter it can make the connection?

getbigg21

Jun 5, 2005
have you tried going into your system preferences under sound and checking your settings? there may be something you have to click on to make them work. just a thought.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
jbernie said:
so i will ask the stupid obvious question :). These speakers are known to actually work right? like plug them into an ipod or discman and you get sound, plug into the imac and nothing?

A possible lose connection for whatever makes the audio work in the imac?

Very slowly insert the speakers plug in and see if at any point you do get audio, obviously have a cd playing and the speakers on, maybe you can find a point where the audio does work but it isnt when the speakers are plugged in fully? i.e. just in mono

edit: do you have anything like a dual plug adapter for headphones? Also do the bands on the headphones plug line up exactly with the bands on the speaker plugs? Are the plugs all the same size? Maybe if the headphone plug is marginally shorter it can make the connection?

I've used all of these speakers before w/ Previous computers, and they have worked fine. This is the first time, anything like this has happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.