Speaker issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman14, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I am looking at buying a 15" Macbook Pro unibody and the guy tells me he is having an issue with the speakers in leopard but goes to XP and they work just fine. Anyone have an idea what the problem may be I as thinking a driver?

2. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

He re-installed OS X, and updated it to 10.5.7. He still cant get the speakers to work but he said they still work in XP. Anything else to try or do I just need to buy it and take it too the Apple Store. It is still under warranty and according to him, there is nothing cosmetically wrong with them.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If the speakers don't work after a reinstall, they are absolutely busted. Don't buy the machine as there might be more issues than just the one the person is lying about.
    You can check warranty with a serial number here.
    Warranty won't apply with water damage though, so if the speakers were killed with water damage, the laptop won't get fixed for anything by Apple.

4. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

But they work in XP, I am also doing a face to face transaction with this guy

5. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to go and take a look at the computer and if I cant get them to work in XP then I am not buying it but if I can then it obviously something else in OS X

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

or you can go with him to the apple store and make sure it is not water damage :rolleyes:

7. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought it, they worked in xp, but not in leopard brought it home and replaced the ram and immeaditly worked again

8. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is really weird, they stopped working again but there not physically not working. I had the issue again and rebooted and the speakers worked with the start-up sound but I still had the issue. I have provided screenshots for someone too please help me.

It gives me this when adjusting the sound volume
    [​IMG]

I know its not muted bc when I press the mute button it shows up like its actually muted
    [​IMG]

They still work in XP and they worked great no crackle or anything when they worked in Leopard. I also tried to adjust in System Preferences and it seemed to be locked. The speakers also show up as working in the System Profiler.

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

try plugging a pair of headphones into the port.

Navigate to: System Preferences > Sound and under Output what is listed?
    Digital Output?

is your optical audio port activated or something plugged in making it active?

have you tried a COMMAND OPTION P R (PRAM reset during a restart)?

10. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

1) Heaphones work fine, but it gives me the same caution sign when trying to control the volume and it wont change from turned up all the way.

2) Yep it says, Digital Output-Built-in Digital. You can see in the new screenshot below, that the volume controls are slightly greyed out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3) I have no clue on how to check that haha. If you tell me how I will deff look!

4) I went ahead and tried the COMMAND OPTION P R during a restart, and still the sane issue.

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Jman14:
    If you look in the headphone jack is there a red light shining?

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Ah, okay yeah its definitely stuck in digital output.

thats really weird though that it would work in XP.
    try plugging some headphones in and restarting into Leopard and then unplug them and try the built-in speakers.
    could be a sensor issue or something.

maybe some dust or debris is caught in there? maybe a light spray of canned air?
    could always bring it in if possible to see if they can remedy it.

13. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

No red light and apple told me when I called it was suppse to be in digital output and they have no clue what could be wrong

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

So much for that idea. Have you tried creating a new user and seeing if the problem still exists?

15. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup tried it, I have done a full reset, downloaded files apple sent and just won't work. I am gonna see if the can send me a new one it has AppleCare

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't if you're willing to try this or not, since the Optical Audio out doesn't seem to be on (no red light), but all your symptoms seem to point to that being the problem. The combined audio out port has a micro switch inside it that switches it to Optical Audio when you insert the appropriate cable. Apparently, it not uncommon for this to get switched on and stuck there when using headphone, external speakers, etc. If you take something like a toothpick and gently poke it into the audio out port and gently move it around you can get it to release the micro switch and turn off the Optical Audio. Some have had success using a head phone plug, but I believe the toothpick works better. If you're willing to give it a try it may get your sound working.

17. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally had access to external speakers, I can control the volume on those and now I have the red light

18. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Does the red light go out when you disconnect the external speakers? If not you need to use the toothpick fix I mentioned above to get the micro switch to switch the Optical Audio off.

19. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont have one where I am staying lol, but when I put the external speaker jack half way in they work. Apple says its the switch and if I cant get it fixed with the toothpick like you said then take it in