speaker issues...i know about the mic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goatsome, Aug 21, 2008.

1. goatsome macrumors newbie

ive been hawking here for a while. its chock full of info. thank you everyone. i have a few questions. my 3g has been awesome so far. i love it. recently the volume on it has been cut in half at least. i can barely hear the ringer and the ipod sounds really distorted. ive tried sound check, restore, basically everything. the speaker looks pretty clean in there, i thought it could have been dirty, but not to my sight. i even tried blasting it with compressed air. no dice. any thoughts???

my plan is to bring it into apple this weekend, but here is the catch. literally the first day i got it (little over two weeks ago) i dropped it on my kitchen floor and there is a tiny mark/scratch on one of the bottom corners. it has worked Perfectly until the past few days, so i doubt the issue came from the drop over two weeks ago, but i guess i could be wrong. do you think apple is going to say thats the reason? any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks everyone. :D

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

There is only ONE speak-... oh my god.

Ladies and gentlemen, our savior has arrived! ;)

OP: Sounds like a hardware issue... I'd try the geniusbar, and hope they don't notice the dent/ding. How noticeable is it?

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This sounds dumb, but first make sure you're turning the volume up enough. If it's at the top level on the screen, then proceed reading.

I think Sound Check actually tries to equal out the volume on your music and stuff. I don't think it does anything outside of iPod, but turn it off just to try. Other than that, I'm not sure. It could be a defective speaker or a firmware issue. Best bet is to try those simple steps and any others posted before making your trip.

4. goatsome thread starter macrumors newbie

i mean, if you look at the bottom of the phone. you will see it. it doesnt bother me at all, cause hey, i did it and im the idiot. i guess the good part is its on mic side, not the speaker side. i guess i could make an argument there.

5. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

if they do say it because of the dent, just respond "prove it."
    they'll give you a new one, or actually waste their time taking the phone apart.

it that doesn't work
    ask to speak to the store manager, whatever you do, don't start yelling and make a scene...that will get you no where.:D

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I've found that if you're COMPLETELY upfront and honest with a genius, they are MUCH more likely to issue a replacement. My sister bought a used 2G off of eBay which had huge marks on the back aluminum near the on/off switch. One day the button became depressed and wouldn't pop back up, so we took it in. Genius took one look at the damage and said "yeah, uhh... no" so we told him we had bought it off of eBay with the damage and would be pretty much screwed if it wasn't replaced, so he replaced it for us without a word.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

That was one very nice genius... but sadly you'll only ever find 10 of these in the whole States!

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

At the store in Buford, here's what it seems to take to get a replacement phone.

"Hi, my iPhone didn't get this e-mail once."
    "Sure! Let me get you a new phone."

I think they must have some formula where if it's most likely a hardware issue, they exchange phones, repair the old one and then sell it as a refurb or something.

9. goatsome thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info guys. i gave the sound check a try again and still no dice. im hoping they agree with me that its a hardware issue and not because of my dumb drop. we shall see.

on another note acvball92, you coach i see. i coach high school in ohio. shoot me an email at goatsome420@yah**.com to discuss a few things.

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Hey man, try plugging the headphones in and unplugging them and checking it out. This happened to me on a first gen.