Speaker/Message alert tone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Jun 21, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Does anyone find the speaker to be of worse quality on the 3GS? I only really notice it when I get a message. The alert sounds terrible compared to the 3G, really muffled.

2. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I havnt had the 3g in a long time but YES it sounds so terrible, at least when its on 100% it sounds like its "blown" almost... I might turn it down a smidge (haha thats a funny word) to see if that helps.

3. DuFFy macrumors regular

I've noticed that it sounds different, maybe fuller compared to my old 2g, but i wouldnt say its a bad thing. It is definitely louder though, a lot louder. I'll have to pull my 2g out and compare, but i have no complaints over the sound quality.

EDIT: okay so i just compared the two, with it at full volume i hear what you mean by the distortion of it. I think this is due the power of the speaker, it almost sounds like the amplitude of the sound vibrates the speaker or maybe the whole phone a bit too much. i took my 3GS and lowered the volume until it matched the full volume of my 2g (which it took getting down to 4 bars to do so, thats crazy) and they sound the same when at the same volume.

4. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very strange, I imagine it's a hardware fault.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The speaker on my phone sounds fine except for when I get a text with the tri-tone sound. It sounds horrible with that.

6. dk831 macrumors newbie

With the iPhone 3GS, I noticed that when I get a text message while I am in a call, the SMS alert tones sounds really muffled. However when I just play the alert tone (from the phone settings) then it sounds fine.

I thought that maybe it was the phone ear piece (opposed to the speaker) so I tried recording the alert tone from another iPhone in the Voice Memos app and played it back using the ear piece and it sounded fine.

So I am guessing that this is just a software bug with the iPhone 3GS.

Anyone else want to try my experiment above and see if they can replicate it?

Side note, on the iPhone 3G (not 3GS) with 3.0 every thing seems to be okay.