Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auero

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
I'm looking to get a pair of speaker monitors. I'm just unsure of where to begin. I own a Macbook Pro + 27" Thunderbolt display and ever since the display I've been spending a lot more time at my desk.

I keep seeing a lot of mixed opinions. Some connect directly to the mbp and some connect to a usb box via xlr(?) which then connects via USB.

I just wanted to know if someone can shine light on where to begin or recommend something.

I'm trying to stay around $3-400. The less, the better although I know that good quality doesn't come cheap.

I had my eyes on these: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-70-wa...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1317519886&sr=1-4

waitsui

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
Welcome to the world of near-field monitors ;)

The M-audio is definitely a decent choice within your price range although you might also want to take a look at what Genelec and Adam (higher price, better overall quality) have to offer before you make your decision.

The B&W technically are not monitors but a very cool all-in-one alternative given the built-in DAC. Like slowtraveler said, a good DAC is essential for good sound. But a decent DAC can set you back at least another $200. If you can hear the difference it might well be a worthy go.

slowtraveler

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Boston, MA USA
+1 for Genelec and Adam (though their products will be more expensive than the price range stipulated by OP, especially when you factor in the cost of a DAC).

If you're shopping for near-field monitors, also consider Focal, who make killer powered monitors as well as a very nice all-in-one system called the XS (priced about $100 more than the B&W MM-1).

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Mackie MR5s. You can't beat their performance for that price range. There's also the Swan M200 MKII as well.

I'd advise to get a preamp for better volume control.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Agree with TMRaven: Go with Mackie; Also recommend KRK--I think a lot of first-time buyers buy these.

Like all have said, you should invest in pre-amp/DAC, etc.

I got Apogee's Duet. They now have Duet II.

MAGNUStm

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
I just recently picked up some Audioengine A2's and couldn't be happier. They sound amazng, are quality built and their form factor is ideal. The speakers alone are great but after some additional research I bought a HRT Music Streamer II.

I now have a faulty decent entry level audiophile setup for $350. At least I care to think so. Lol

Audioengine A2 $199

HRT Music Streamer $149

RedRider0151

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
For the money the KRK's are a GREAT deal! I am running an Apogee Duet and a set of JBL LSR's (the 8inch model)...only drawback is they are big...but the clarity is just off the chain. I have a windows pc running a Kilpsch 5.1 setup and the 2 jbl's just plain SMOKE them!

As stated, the biggest drawback is having to get a DAW.... the Apogee is getting less expensive, but its FAR from cheap

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Both the KRKs and Mackies are a good option. The Mackies are warmer with more bass emphassis, the KRKs are more neutral with less bass emphasis. You couldn't go wrong with either, it just depends on your sound preference. If there's a guitar center anywhere near you, then you should test all of them out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.