Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
How good (e.g. loud) is the speaker phone on iphone 3GS? I currently have a moto Q and the speaker phone is excellent, louder than many house phones.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
its amazing when compared to the first gen iphone....but its still only an "okay" at best speakerphone when compared to the rest of the cellphone world

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
its amazing when compared to the first gen iphone....but its still only an "okay" at best speakerphone when compared to the rest of the cellphone world

i find mine to be as loud as a computer
very very happy with it
makes my old 3G sound like a mouse

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
i find mine to be as loud as a computer
very very happy with it
makes my old 3G sound like a mouse

It's still not loud enough to use in the average vehicle (I can barely use it in my super quiet Audi and forget about using it in my company car, a Jeep Compass). Thank god for BT headsets.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
It's still not loud enough to use in the average vehicle (I can barely use it in my super quiet Audi and forget about using it in my company car, a Jeep Compass). Thank god for BT headsets.

As long as the person remembers to take it off when they exit the car. Nothing is worse than some d-bag walking around with his bluetooth in his ear at a grocery store, health club, or other public venue.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2006
VA
Compared to my 2g the difference in sound is unreal. I was shocked at how loud the 3gs speaker was after having my 2g iphone for the last 18months or so. Saying that though it is still not as good as my blackberry and if your in a car driving on the interstate with the ac humming it is still a little to quiet but if your sitting in an office or room it is more than loud enough.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
As long as the person remembers to take it off when they exit the car. Nothing is worse than some d-bag walking around with his bluetooth in his ear at a grocery store, health club, or other public venue.

Does it equally offend you if someone is listening to their headphones in such a place?

Get over it, some people take a lot of calls and don't want to be fumbling for their phone the 9 times it will ring while they are in one of those places.

I usually put mine in my pocket but I certainly don't need or appreciate the looks I get if I choose to leave it on because I'm expecting several calls.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Does it equally offend you if someone is listening to their headphones in such a place?

Get over it, some people take a lot of calls and don't want to be fumbling for their phone the 9 times it will ring while they are in one of those places.

I usually put mine in my pocket but I certainly don't need or appreciate the looks I get if I choose to leave it on because I'm expecting several calls.

Call 1 - Bruh, you catching the game?

Call 2 - Sweetie, you're not having people over tonight are you?

Call 3 - Dude, make sure you get some Doritos.

Call 4 - Wait, did you move? Is your place still on Dupont st?

Call 5 - Can't make it tonight man, gotta hang out with my damn wiener kids.

Call 6 - Sophie? Or sorry - wrong number.

Call 7 - I'm outside. You still at the store getting Doritos?

Call 8 - Sophie? Is this not Sophie's number? What number is this?

Call 9 - Could you tell Sophie I'm looking for her?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Call 1 - Bruh, you catching the game?

Call 2 - Sweetie, you're not having people over tonight are you?

Call 3 - Dude, make sure you get some Doritos.

Call 4 - Wait, did you move? Is your place still on Dupont st?

Call 5 - Can't make it tonight man, gotta hang out with my damn wiener kids.

Call 6 - Sophie? Or sorry - wrong number.

How would those calls be any less annoying if the person was on the handset instead of a BT headset?

My calls go more like this;

1. Well, did you check top to see what process is hogging up the cpu.

2. I can't be out there till tonight, try to fix it without me.

3. Yes, mr CEO guy I know you're pissed that something is broken right now.

4. I'm married, so stop throwing yourselves at me blasted supermodels!

:)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

ive never tested it in my car
whenever im in the car, my phone is plugged into an aux jack
so if i have to take a call in the car, i just hold the bottom of my phone up to my mouth, much like a walkie talkie, and the sound comes through the stereo

both your jeep and audi should have aux inputs (gosh I wish I had an audi. I love my Saab, but theres just something about german engineering)

you could always give that a try if your bluetooth is dead/annoying you (or others, if what they think bothers you)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
ive never tested it in my car
whenever im in the car, my phone is plugged into an aux jack
so if i have to take a call in the car, i just hold the bottom of my phone up to my mouth, much like a walkie talkie, and the sound comes through the stereo

both your jeep and audi should have aux inputs (gosh I wish I had an audi. I love my Saab, but theres just something about german engineering)

you could always give that a try if your bluetooth is dead/annoying you (or others, if what they think bothers you)

I love my Audi, but no aux jack (it's a 2004 A4). I did spend a boat load getting a DICE kit integrated into it, it is pretty sweet I will have to try taking a call while it is docked to the DICE and see if the audio plays out of the speakers.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Call 10 - Dude, there's this guy here whose life is so boring that he's all bothered with what's in my ear, and what I'm talking about on my phone! Can you believe that s-? I LOL'd.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Call 10 - Dude, there's this guy here whose life is so boring that he's all bothered with what's in my ear, and what I'm talking about on my phone! Can you believe that s-? I LOL'd.

Call 11 - MAN! There's some SUPER IMPORTANT GUY in the SUPER MARKET right now! He's walking around with a headset! No time to get the phone in his hand! Quick! He's gotta get the milk! OH! Here comes another call!!

Call 12 - DUDE! Did you get my MMS?! LOL! Funny pic eh?? OH? No time to check the actual phone itself? GOT to GO! No time for a phone in my hand! BT only!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Call 11 - MAN! There's some SUPER IMPORTANT GUY in the SUPER MARKET right now! He's walking around with a headset! No time to get the phone in his hand! Quick! He's gotta get the milk! OH! Here comes another call!!

Call 12 - DUDE! Did you get my MMS?! LOL! Funny pic eh?? OH? No time to check the actual phone itself? GOT to GO! No time for a phone in my hand! BT only!

Ya I much rather hold my phone in my hand while I'm trying to do other stuff so that I drop it and it smashes.

Get over yourself and your hatred of people who use a headset so that they can do 2 things at once.

P.S. - I can see you are still angry and hurt about being wrong when you insisted Apple would never sell a "cheap" phone, a.k.a, $99 3G iPhone.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Ya I much rather hold my phone in my hand while I'm trying to do other stuff so that I drop it and it smashes.

Get over yourself and your hatred of people who use a headset so that they can do 2 things at once.

hahahah .. ok :rolleyes:

Well, I just think it's pretty dumb and needless, unless you're driving. But, if you feel your phones calls are just THAT important, and whatever it is that you're doing is also just THAT important, and you simply CAN NOT do both (for whatever reason) - then that's your prerogative. Go for it buddy.

It's just not for me ... much like fanny packs and rollerblades.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
hahahah .. ok :rolleyes:

Well, I just think it's pretty dumb and needless, unless you're driving. But, if you feel your phones calls are just THAT important, and whatever it is that you're doing is also just THAT important, and you simply CAN NOT do both (for whatever reason) - then that's your prerogative. Go for it buddy.

It's just not for me ... much like fanny packs and rollerblades.

You know, I don't really come here to find out what your peev of the week is, be it a BT headset or roller blades.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
You know, I don't really come here to find out what your peev of the week is, be it a BT headset or roller blades.

So ... ?

(I don't really come here to find out what your blah blah blah is either)

It's my opinion. I'm down with speakerphones (I think the 3G is pretty good myself, and hope the 3GS is even better), I like the iPhone (hence me being on these forums) and I think bluetooth headsets are dorky (so I mercilessly mock them).

You don't see me getting all fussy that you like them. Sheesh.

Be loud and proud on your BT headset man. ;)

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
I guess I've gotten used to seeing the bluetooth headsets. They don't bother me anymore. I pretty much only wear mine in the car and at home, not in public.

What does bother me, though, is people texting all the damn time. I mean I text quite a bit but people who text during a movie or while eating at a restaurant even while driving. That just drives me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.