Speaker phones don't work - Red Light ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Antidoll, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

So about 3 weeks ago... I dropped my macbook.

it's safe to say, the scariest and saddest day of my life. I was so scared that my baby fell on the floor I almost cried.

after examination, nothing is broken, nothing is obviously wrong with it.

upon further use (after removing the headphones) I discovered that the speakers don't work anymore... and a red light comes out of the headphones jack when no headphones are plugged in.

NOW the light comes on and off sometimes... but the speaker does not work.

I bought my laptop few months ago and I am still covered under the warranty and I do have an extended one already.

Now here's my question , should I bother calling them and telling them how the sound is not working and send it to them (without telling them I dropped it obviously) ?

there's really normal usage scratches.. no dents... However, the cover near the headphones is slightly up, but again not very obvious or noticeable.

and if I do and they call me up to tell me it is caused by a drop or whatever and I should pay, how much do you think it will cost? and should I fix it somewhere else for cheaper?

thanks a lot in advance:apple:

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

3. belvdr macrumors 603

If you take it in, you're more likely to get better service if you are upfront and honest. They may just repair it for free, who knows. However, if you try to hide it and they find out, you can bet they will charge your for it.