Speaker Popping Noise only in Mac OS X, not Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celticpride678, Aug 17, 2009.

1. celticpride678

As some may know, I and a few other users have been trying to solve an issue with the UniBody MacBook's and MacBook Pro's speaker popping noise after an amount of inactivity. I tried some more troubleshooting today, and installed Windows 7 in VMware Fusion. I went ahead and tried to see if the speakers still clicked while using Windows in a virtual machine, and they didn't.

This means that the issue is specific with Mac OS X. Even more specific, system files/.plist files. Does anyone know where are the locations of every single .plist file on Mac OS X. I know there are some in ~/Library/Preferences, but are there other locations? Also, I was reading a post where someone went to the Apple Store and they removed "Unnecessary audio files" and that person has not had speaker popping ever since. Any ideas on this? Any other ideas on solving this issue? Thanks a lot!

2. shouldberunning macrumors member

I just thought you'd like to know that this happens in my late 2008 MacBook White. I always thought of it as the speakers driver going to sleep and waking back up.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I have heard a lot of possibilities becuase of the popping, but thisbis the one that stands out at me. It does not seem like Apple to do this. By this, I mean, they can shut down the sound chip to save battery power, but they would and should do better than making a popping noise every sublet time it happens. The fact that it is software, makes me feel better becuase then my logic board does not need to be replaced. Apple needs to fix this. Any other ideas??

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The speaker popping issue has been around since the days of 10.4 Tiger and the original Core Duo Macbooks. Here's a thread from 2006, but you'll find dozens more if you do a forum search...

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

The thread link you gave me has nothing to do with my issue. I don't lose audio for a few seconds after the pop. Just a pop