Speaker popping?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jodi swift, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jodi swift macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a problem with the sound on my macbook. Occasionally (especially when using GarageBand ) there is a "pop" from the speakers, and the volume on the laptop drops to barely audible. A restart solves the problem but I would like to find a permanent solution.

I would really appreciate any help, as I have no idea what is causing this to happen.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

First thing I'd want to know - does it happen when on battery power, when plugged in, or both?

First thing I might try is resetting the SMC.

3. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

I will update tomorrow on a repair that is being done. I have been working with apple on this issue and so far it is either the speakers or the logic board.

They are swapping out the speakers and will see how they do.

Been dealing with this for over 6 months as of now.

4. jodi swift thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies,

first @ Yadmonkey; It happens both on battery power and when plugged in, I read the page you linked but it appears the SMC doesn't manage sound.

Could it possibly be a driver issue or is it more likely to be a hardware problem?

@ ZebOfMac how often did this happen on your Macbook? For me it is very infrequent but should not be happening at all, so any info on the source of the problem would be ace.

Thing is.. as the problem occurs so infrequently, I'm not even sure how to test if a solution worked or not because it seems to happen quite randomly. Although any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

5. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

The SMC doesn't manage sound, but it does manage power. Often when speakers pop (in computers or otherwise), it has something to do with power.

It does sound like it might be a hardware issue and a hard one to nail down at that, since it happens so infrequently. If it were my computer, I'd probably back it up and reinstall the OS to be sure.

6. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Hello,

Tech had my computer in for repairs. Well the surgery wasn't too long just at an hour. The computer was stripped and padded clean just to be safe. Speakers and sub woofers were replaced as agreed upon with the AppleCare call center.

The pops are still there :eek:
    I gotta call the tech tomorrow as he says there is nothing else he can think of. Apple has agreed on a replacement of this did not work so this one is going back. I have had the computer ~339 days

Tried:
    Logic Board
    Speakers
    OSX fresh install
    system tweaks sent from apple
    Apple Engineers have gotten several console logs

7. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

OK, here's a wild idea... pull the battery and use it on power supply only. I wonder if it will still happen.

8. jodi swift thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Zeb, how often does this happen on your mac? When the speakers pop does the sound become barely audible or cut out all together?

9. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Actually, I have my speakers on zero all the time and just keep hearing it popping.

10. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Yad,

They tried that a few months back.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its possible that its just the sound hardware going into and returning from sleep mode. Most, if not all, portable Macs do this, but most people don't notice it. Use Antipop to fix it: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29024/antipop

12. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

The tech at the new store has gone over the logs and the hardware changes. The computer should work fine out of the box and this is something that should not be happening on a 2800.00 computer.

13. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Zeb, are you losing volume after the popping happens like Jodi?

14. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Not with the new set of speaker that were put in on Tuesday of this week

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The computer can be $100,000 and itd still have problems. I'm very sure its just the sound hardware and it's sleep mode.

16. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Talked with Apple Care this afternoon some more. They want to tear my computer apart piece by piece. So they are going to send a new computer next week and then I send them this one back.

They said the audio going to sleep and waking up would not be a concern as the popping can come as close as 30 seconds apart.

17. jodi swift thread starter macrumors newbie

Zeb, sorry to hear they didn't resolve your problem yet, good luck with that mate.. it must be really irritating.

It sounds like a different issue though, my speakers don't pop continuously.. it just happens once then the sound is lost to barely audible levels, the speakers don't continue to make a popping sound. The first time it happened I thought the speakers had blown, that's what it sounded like.. but a restart fixes the problem so obviously not. Anyway, I have a feeling it could be heat related. Is there any chance that the laptop getting too hot could cause such a thing to happen?

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.
    j

18. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Jodi, have you tried running it with the battery out? It's worth a shot.

Yes heat could be a big factor. A failing soldering point can work or not work when a certain temperature is reached. Is your Macbook under warrantee or Applecare?