Speaker problem - Macbook Air 11 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by banapple!, Dec 15, 2013.

1. banapple! macrumors newbie

Hello, I just had a strange thing happen with my 11" 2013 model Air (which is only about 2 months old), and was wondering whether anybody had experienced anything similar. I did do a search but didn't find anything too similar.

I was streaming music through Pandora with headphones plugged in, when suddenly the sound stopped and a really loud crackling noise came through the headphones. After this the sound would not work at all, either through the headphones or the speakers, but the loud crackling noise intermittently persisted anytime I tried to play anything. It wasn't just a problem with Pandora - I tried playing a number of different things.

I then shut down and rebooted my laptop. The sound is working again now and I have headphones plugged in again, but about half an hour in the sound began intermittently failing in the right headphone.

I had a google and it seems that people have experienced similar issues with older macbooks - but it tends to be put down to loud sound and my volume is set to a low-moderate level. I also wasn't able to find much info about how people have had the problem resolved.

Anybody experienced similar with a 2013 Air or earlier model? Any solutions?

Thanks guys!

2. Robyr macrumors regular

Are you on 10.9 (AKA Mavericks?)

3. banapple! thread starter macrumors newbie

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

May simply be a driver issue. I wonder if there is something in the log files. You can check these with the Console application, which is easiest to start via Spotlight.

5. bmckl macrumors newbie

A similar thing just happened to my 2012 MBA 11inch. Did you ever come to any conclusions?