Speaker Recommendations for New iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rhobes, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

A few months ago I bought :
    iMac 27"
    2.8 GHz Quad Core i7
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM 2x4
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    ATI Radeon HD 4850

Actually, still moving into it from the old one, haven't spent allot of time on it, hard to get out of the old one with my photoshop work.

Anyhow, whats a good external speaker system for it? I find myself with the volume maxed out on the internal iMac speakers now, don't think it's too good to keep doing that. Is the amp in the iMac my only control over volume? Can I buy a speaker system of very good quality that may have amps within them so I can get more volume to them?

I have a real top end stand alone stereo system, but doubt the iMac iTunes can be run through that.....

Suggestions appreciated-

2. Username02 macrumors regular

3. amarcus macrumors 6502

Budget? Space constraints?

My general recommendations are:
    1) Audioengine A5's
    2) Bowers & Wilkins MM-1

Adam

4. joudbren macrumors regular

You can easily connect to your home stereo if that works for you. A simple and cheap mini-din jack to RCA jack cable will give you analog output to the stereo or if you have an available fibre port on your receiver, you can connect it optically for cheap as well and then you'll have digital out to the receiver for Dolby Digital and surround support.

I'm using amplified Logitech 5500's with full Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS support connected via optical cable to my 27" iMac. Works perfectly and I have surround sound for gaming and movies. The 5500's have been available for years and are still a bargain. The brushed silver and black colour scheme also matches perfectly with iMac or MacBook Pro. Cheers!

James

5. kappaz macrumors member

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

7. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I just bought the A5's.

It looks like the A5's will connect & work with the iMac. Is the Nuforce uDAC-2 strictly for your computers music connection to you home stereo?

Does it (Nuforce) in anyway enhance your computer audio output through the A5's?

I also want to hear my favorite radio station (streaming audio) through the A5's, reading on this I'm under the impression I need to get wireless to do it, Should I get the Airport Express 802.11n???

I'm concerned about my limited USB connections on this iMac, everything seems to want direct connection to the iMac, not using my Belkin multi USB ports (eg. Nikon camera downloading & other things). Maybe the airport express would be good.:confused:

Robes-

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I’m a fan of Swan’s desktop products. I’ve got the M200MkII and love them, but I’ve heard very good things about the slightly smaller (and less expensive) D1080MkII08 as well—I’m planning on buying a pair for my ladyfriend for Christmas. You can find all of Swan’s active desktop line at The Audio Insider.

http://www.theaudioinsider.net/

Please consider real speakers like this or the Audioengines over “multimedia” speakers on offer from Logitech and the like.

EDIT: Streaming Internet radio? You can listen to that with the computer as you are now, as long as the speakers are plugged in. The DAC recommended is just so that your computer’s sound output will be a higher quality vs. the built-in DAC.

9. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks for the reply. Is the DAC in the speakers or in my iMac? I have invested allot into this iMac (see model/specs 1st post) if the DAC is within the iMac how do I know if buying this Nuforce is actually any better then what I have? i would think this iMac would have a good DAC? :confused:

10. Nautilus86 macrumors newbie

I'm still amazed by these: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beolab4pc

need quite deep pockets though :p. But aesthetics and sound quality is freaking amazing ^_^. I think those would sit very nicely next to your imac.