Speaker Recommendations?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeM87, Jul 15, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

Just wondering what speakers you guys use with your iMac's?

Thanks
    iPhone 4 16gb :apple:

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

Attached Files:

3. OptyCT, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

OptyCT macrumors 6502

Granted, I just got my '11 iMac a few days ago, but I've done some testing. The built-in '11 iMac speakers are pretty good, so you'll have to spend some money to get a worthy upgrade. My point being that it won't make any sense to pick up a pair of $20 speakers and attach them to your iMac. The upgrade won't be that great.

Right now, I'm using a pair of Audioengine 2's and they work great.

Edit: I don't use the Audioengine 2's hooked up directly to my iMac. I use them with an Airport Express via AirTunes (or AirPlay).

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

For what it's worth, I don't! I find the iMac's internal speakers more than adequate for general listening.

Even with an external DAC, which, by the way, does make a large improvement, the circuit of a computer can never match that of a dedicated system specifically designed and constructed for high quality music reproduction. For this reason, I would personally never spend a lot of cash on high quality speakers because they would simply exaggerate and highlight the computers shortcomings.

If a bit of extra "welly" or the ability to increase the physical separation of the speakers is required, there are plenty of low to mid priced "computer speakers" in the marketplace that are more than adequate for the purpose. However, when choosing speakers it is good advice to make your choice by trusting your ears and not making your choice simply on what other people use.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I'm using Hivi Swan M50 .. A bit steep at around $250, but sounds pretty close to hifi sound, plus it's a 2.1, means you get enough bang when you use it for games or movies. A 2.0 system sounds good for music only, still not all kind of music too.

6. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I just got my new 27 inch iMac. I bought the Bose Companion 3 series II and the sound is simply fantastic. I even bought them on sale at the Bose Outlet store near me.

I know people think Bose is overrated, but I compared a lot of speakers before I decided to buy the Bose. Go listen for yourself with different makes of speakers, before you buy. Then make your own decision based on what you hear.

7. iMemories, Jul 15, 2011

iMemories macrumors newbie

I'm using the Bose Compaion 5 with my Apple Macbook Pro, I like the sound quality. Yes, some people think Bose are over rated & over priced but if the person want's a perfect sound they to study on what kind of speakers they want. I did a comparison between Bose vs. Klipsch at Best Buy here locally Bose was the best sound...So I bought the Bose.

For the guy who made the thread if you decide to go with Bose they have a finical plan you can either choose 6 month plan or 12 month, if you don't have the money in hands...What they do is this...They charge you upfront for the first half maybe $85 I think it is? then they send you the finical plan to your billing address how they take out the payments on the 1st of the month. Not to be in your finical business just trying to be some help.

Count me in for the Bose recommendation & here's my setup right now..Picture of the Bose Companion 5:

[​IMG]

8. thebignewt macrumors regular

I bought a pair of the Audioengine $200/pair little ones (maybe the 2's?). They sound excellent, and I'm not easily impressed. I've had a couple sets of the standard computer speakers with the subwoofer on the floor, and these are way better IMO. There's a reason you can't find these at a discount. I'd actually like to hear the big ones too. I'd get them in white to match the big screen if I could reorder.

9. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I went with the Bose Companion 5 speakers. No regrets. To save a little on the price I went with a factory reconditioned set. Saved about 10% on the original price.

10. sofasurfer macrumors member

B&W MM1s on my iMac. The sound is simply stunning when playing Flac files.

11. orbital~debris, Jul 15, 2011

orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I have the Aego M 2.1 speakers from Acoustic Energy.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Aego-M-loudspeaker

They're awesome and I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking to listen to music whilst using their Mac, watch a movie or play games.
    I have them hooked up to my 27" iMac and the sound quality is excellent, great clarity. Also lots of bass available from the subwoofer if you want it, but it can be dialled down easily.
    If anyone has experience of the original or later editions of Harman/Kardon's SoundSticks, these are even nicer from a sound perspective (although admittedly not as unique in design!)

12. portishead macrumors 65816

I also have bose companions but I only use them because they came with my car 5 years ago. They sound good though, but I would have probably went with some klipsch 2.1 set.

13. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    Bose are generally considered a crap in the audiophile community, but if you like them then I guess it's OK.
    To sell them they (the stores) usually use tricks to enhance the sound, like separate audio room only for the Bose or selected tracks which enhance the particular models etc.

14. CHSeifert, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I did a comparison test between B&W MM1 and Harmon Kadon Soundsticks, and overall to my surprise I preferred the Soundsticks, even though they were 40% cheaper !!

HarmonKardon Soubdsticks are the best !!

15. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Personally I use these (I've actually got version 2):

http://uk.harmankardon.com/harman-kardon-product-detail-uk/soundsticks-iii.html

I've always been happy and the subwoofer give good solid bass and adds to a nice rounded sound. I liked these as, in my humble opinion, they look good and suit the iMac design and come in at around the price point that I wanted to pay. There are obviously better speakers that cost more and probably their more traditional speaker housing lends themselves to a better sound, however for price, aesthetic (personal opinion), sound quality these do well.

16. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

logitech has some decent speakers that wont break that bank, but depends what you looking for, i want the sub for mine, not the best speakers on the market but they do the job just fine for me...

i got the
    z-2300 (silver and black to which match the my imac)

17. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

well i guess they dont make these that i have anymore... i looked on amzon and logitech website, they were like 120 when i bought them..., amzon has them, for 400, and the z-5500 which is the 5.1 surrond one used to be 300 and has had a huge price jump so idk if i am will to still suggest logitech because of the price jump

18. Jeordeon macrumors newbie

I use Eagle Tech Arion speakers. They're very good quality, got 'em for sixty bucks on Amazon.

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

M-Audio AV40's - pretty good quality speakers for a mid-range set-up.

I like them alot.

20. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

umm forget the speakers, whats the specs on the light/lamp!?

brand/model maybe?

21. SoFresh~SoClean macrumors newbie

SoFresh~SoClean

I had the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II, loaned them to a friend and bought the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III. Truly impressive even compared to 2.1 stereo speakers twice the price!! And this is coming from a true audiophile.

SoFresh

22. wargasm macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Krk rokit and apogee duet ;)

iMac coming soon. Right now it's a unibody mini :)

War

23. Nitrus macrumors member

24. Tucom, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Another vote for KRKS, I actually have the ST-6's which are basically passive higher-end Rokit 6's, and sound incredible.

Having been and still am an audiophile and having listened to some very high end sound systems (Bowers and Wilkins for starters.), I can attest to the fact that Bose makes quality products.

Yes, there, its out there, because quite frankly, I find it to be true.

They're not the best, far from it, and their home theater systems are overpriced in temrs of just sound quality, but as a whole PLUS having second to NONE customer service (They treat you like a friggin family member) makes they're products prices slightly more reasonable.

Now, owning none at the moment but having owned a pair of Companion 3's series I and series II: I think there's honestly really no other competitor in the price-range their offered in, Bose really made an excellenet set of active, nearfield speakers (and in some cases even, monitors).

So unless you've got the cash for the AudioEngines (but for the 2's would be far lacking bass vs the Bose) or higher end KRK setups, the Bose C3 Series II's or if you'd rather have surround sound and a dedicated USB sound card built into the speakers (pretty nice, really), the Companion 5's.

My .02 cents, but for the price range (I know like the opposite of most Bose arguments) I think the Companion series as a whole pretty much can't be beat. They can sound a little tinny sometimes (not tiny, well maybe tiny, but harsh), but with some physical adjustment they usually are spot on and impressively revealning speakers.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot, but these would probably topple the Bose or any other offerings in its price range: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq07xwAWUl0&feature=channel_video_title

As opposed to what the first comment innacurrately writes, these speakers from what I can gather from reliable sources of people who actually know what they're talking about, these ARE audiophile quality, at least relatively, given they're price range.

Supposedly game studios are using these for mastering, too. I haven't heard these, but these are the only speakers I'd remotely consider trying next to Bose or, for a higher price, KRKs. (or AudioEngines or any quality studio monitors)