Speaker screech [Booting to bootcamp]

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vhp3, Feb 14, 2014.

1. vhp3, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

vhp3 macrumors regular

I have a nMP and after much trial and error installed win 8.1 on an external TB drive. Everything works really well, except for one thing...

When I reboot using System Preferences and choose bootcamp I get a terrible speaker noise at reboot. This happens after the screen goes grey and is rebooting. It sounds like somebody is scratching a record and the noise comes from my internal nMP speaker.

Does anyone have the same issue? I can post a video tomorrow if necessary.

HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYb3wCSLhc&feature=youtu.be

2. drunkn macrumors member

This screech happened to me once but not related to booting up/down. It was when I unplugged the headphone port haha...

bottom line I'm not sure this issue is tied to any specific part/process of the nMP...I wonder if they'll give out an update soon with enough reports of this issue.

3. vhp3 thread starter macrumors regular

If I do a shutdown, and restart holding down the option, I don't hear that nasty noise.

4. dermike macrumors member

I've had that as well a couple of times. Scared the **** out of me the first time. Don't think it's serious.

5. vhp3 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you describe your situation? Were you booting off an external to bootcamp when this happened? Or did it happen on a normal reboot?

6. dermike macrumors member

Can't remember any details, but it was on the internal drive...

7. hkoster1 macrumors regular

You need to reset SMC.