Speaker/subwoofer distortion in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Nov 20, 2008.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I have been noticing some speaker or subwoofer distortion coming from my late 2008 MBP. It is most evident in Adium when I receive or send a message using the default sound set and the volume up past half. It seems to be a resonance that is transmitted through the chassis of the laptop. It's reproducible with certain music as well, but it is most evident with the Adium sounds. I'm not near an Apple store to check it out, so can someone maybe open up Adium and send a few messages at full volume to see if there is this rattling/vibration type sound? Placing pressure on the chassis at different points with my hands helps to alleviate the issue partially, but it's still there. Thanks!

2. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Check your keyboard

Hey, I have also noticed a "rattle" type of sound when listening to music yesterday ( aquatic guitar stuff ). And the problem seems to be the keyboard, and more specifically in my case a "Return" key.
    To check it, when you hear that distortion again, just slightly lay you hand on the keyboard and see if it goes away.

BTW, I also tested this with a straight up sine wave, and I was getting the most rattling between something around 200 - 800Mz.

3. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone else confirm if they are or are not having this problem, esp with adium sounds? thanks!

4. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

I heard it and returned it

apple store didn't believe me. I also had 3 dead pixels so they had to take it back... noise is very annoying... don't think it's the speakers, it's probably the loose battery cover or something loose... apple laptops are beautiful but they have issues...:mad:

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

The lack of good sound insulation probably makes the aluminum resonate a little bit, at least where the "subwoofer" is located. I noticed a vibration in the palmrest while watching an episode of House last night. I don't mind, the speakers still sound great.

6. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

confirmed that it's coming from the keyboard (good call!!). goes away if i put my hand lightly on the keys, mainly upper right side. i guess ill go for a keyboard replacement.