Speaker system for 20' Alu. iMac under $100?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theMaccer, Apr 19, 2008.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Im currently looking for a nice speaker system for my 20' iMac in the market. My budget is $100.

Any idea, everyone?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

JBL onstages (which can also dock an ipod) are on ebay for $35 shipped and the sound is great for the size/price. I liked it so much I picked up two for speakers for my AP express/itunes bases.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

For $100 I would definitely purchase either JBL Spots or M-Audio Audiophile AV-20

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. Thunderpuppy macrumors newbie

Target or Best Buy

Bose sells a set of their speakers for $99.00 and they work great on my 20" Imac. I highly recommend them.

6. ruftytufty macrumors member

I second the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's, if you want real bass, and have room for the subwoofer. Check the reviews on Amazon. I bought them after a lot of research, and they're great speakers (better than the huge, expensive ones on my stereo system).

Refurb unit is avail from Klipsch for $90; haven't checked ebay.

Only downside I know of is that the power switch is on the back of the sub, and they consume power even when not in use. Put the speaker system on a power strip, and shut it off when not in use.

7. thinkband macrumors regular

I am not sure what you're using speakers for, but if it is for music, I would recommend getting quality headphones. You can get some really nice headphones for a lot cheaper than getting some really nice speakers. I got some speakers a while back for $140 and was pretty disappointed in the quality. On the other hand I got some $70 headphones which play music better than anything I have ever heard.

If you are not going for the headphone + cheap 2.1 speaker combo, then I will third the Bose $99 speakers. They are not amazing, but probably a good way to spend $99 as my dad has these. Also, look at the Klipsch 2.1 set. That is probably the single best 2.1 system for the money and I believe it runs for about $120? Sound great!