Speaker System for my Mac Book Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nutsnbolts, Nov 4, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

I'm in the market for a speaker system for my new Mac Book Pro 17" and 24" Apple Cinema Display setup. Currently, I'm using really old speakers that, in my opinion, did fine. In other words, I didn't really do any sound studio like activities that warrants me to get the top of the line system.

Essentially, I'm just looking to upgrade (it is 7 years old). Is there anything out there right now that is "the best bang for the buck?" In other words, provide great sounds, it's innovative, it's essentially to this Apple setup, etc. etc.

2. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Swan M10's seem to be the favorite here on the forums, both for their looks and for their incredible sound. They'll quite affordable at just over $100.00 shipped.

TheGoldenMacKid did a great review of them here.

Attached Files:

3. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, I did stumble upon a thread about this but didn't want to hijack the thread. I'll look into that review.

Thanks...

Anything else I should consider looking into?

4. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

I personally have the Swan D1080MkII's also available on that site and they sound outstanding. They're about $15.00 more than the M10's.

Obviously the Logitech 5500's are awesome and the 5300's are great too (more affordable than the previous). The Creative Gigaworks T40's are great looking speakers and sound equally as good as they look.

Look around in that other thread and in other ones in this forum and you should be able to find some good suggestions. Set yourself a price and see what you can find. We'll happily give you pointers in the right direction, though. ;)

5. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I don't want to make it too complicated. As stated before, I'm not using my system as a sound studio where ever level of sound is required, hence, why I wanted to post this to find out what works best.

My budget is perhaps around $100 but I don't think I want to go truly truly high end.

If the price is right and I get more than I need, then that's my kind of deal!

But if it has features and functions that are more geared to music enthusiasts who demand those type of features essential to their work and there is a premium for it, well, I would consider it but if it's not necessary, then it's not necessary.

So..

What i'm looking for seems like those m10 swans. I guess I need to see what that extra 15-20 bucks for the ones you have will give me. It is then again only 15-20 bucks...lol!

6. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

White cotton gloves in the box for handling your shiny new speakers, that's what 15-20 extra bucks will get you :D

7. foshizzle macrumors regular

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That and some nice sound, but the white gloves are way more important.

Which portion of that suggestion fits into the price range. Also, this wouldn't even be the best set-up for the price range if the OP wanted monitors.

9. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I'd definitely go for the Swans. I have a set of Harman/Kardon Soundstick II's and I really like the, but it seems like the Swans are a really big bang for the buck. They also seem to look quite nice. If you don't want to wait the 2+ months to get them though, I'll put in a vote for the Soundsticks. ;)