Speaker volume on Series 3 improved?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Peanut207, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Peanut207, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

So do we know how much the speaker is improved on the Series 3? I know with my original AW when using it for calls it is practically unusable unless you are in a silent location. I haven't heard much about the speaker volume on Series 3 with hands on videos or articles.

I know the speaker will be improved..but by how much. Are we really going to be able to use our watches for phone calls walking down the street outside?

2. MBPnoob macrumors regular

The fact that they added a Siri voice to this watch tells me that they had to have upgraded the speaker.

3. ANDJOE macrumors regular

ANDJOE

The demo with the woman on the lake seemed to indicate that it is louder. I wonder if there is a difference between the speakers in the cellular and non-cellular versions.

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Man, I sure hope so. I suppose we’ll find out in 6 days.

5. frjpsmacrumors macrumors newbie

The speaker on the Series 2 is much better than on the original AW. Very usable. I expect the one on AW3 will be even better.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

With having Siri feedback, it's hard to say if they improved the overall volume of the Apple Watch or the actual speaker. But regardless, you want Siri to be audibly heard especially in a smaller form factor the Apple Watch. But I think will be interesting to see what other users are saying when they receive their watches.

7. Peanut207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Peanut207

This is what I’m thinking but you haven’t heard much about the speaker strangely. I have the series 0 and the speaker is basically unusable.

8. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

same here, I can really only answer it in a confined, silent space, otherwise its pointless

9. Jarrodbcall macrumors regular

I heard that a lot of the speaker improvement comes from WatchOS 4 and the series 2 should sound better as well.

10. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Yeah, looks like they slightly moved the speaker/mic holes, but I read somewhere they did a lot of software improvements to make the mic and speaker better.

11. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

Not doubting you, but do you have a source on that? I am genuinely interested as I am coming from a S0 where the speaker is basically useless to the S3. Thanks!

:apple:

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I do know that Siri having an audible voice, is due to the hardware and not watchOS that is permitting that.

13. Jarrodbcall macrumors regular

Let me look it up tonight after group. I think it may have been Gruber, but I will find the source

14. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

Its MUCH improved and Siri sounds better on the watch than on the iPhone imo

15. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

There is a review on youtube from a pleasant fellow named iPhonedo (funny!) and he measured a notable db level higher on the series 3. So yes!

The microphones are also positioned higher and they sound better - in calls people can't seem to tell I am on the watch even when it I by my side. Genius.

16. SRLMJ23, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I watched that review I think. The one where he walks down a busy street and is talking on the watch and the person can hear him fine, and he can hear her fine? It was a funny review, but showed off the much better speaker and microphone on the S3.

--- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    Don't worry about it bro, now I have watched/read enough reviews where I know it is better. Thanks for offering though!

17. Jarrodbcall macrumors regular

I looked around before I read this, so here is what I found: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/20/review-apple-watch-series-3/

It mentioned it briefly, and I could have sworn I read a review that talked more about it. Regardless, the speaker should be much better than the initial few watches :)

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My AW3 speaker is GREATLY improved. I had to run the other AW at max volume but only 1/3 volume with the AW3. Even Siri sounds great. Can't really compare the speaker on the 3 with previous models.

19. PPCmike macrumors regular

it still sucks when making calls.. I got my girlfriend a Samsung S3 Frontier and I'm jealous how loud her call volume sounds over mine.