Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Is there any way to connect speakers that use traditional copper speaker wires to a 3.5mm jack?

I want to connect two circa 180 Bose bookshelf speakers to an airport express for streaming purposes without the use of an amp or receiver.

maybe an adaptor exists.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
ok thanks for the info. Any ideas for a small inexpensive amp?

Edit Would an amp from Nuforce do the trick?

Last edited:

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Just to answer the original quesiton on the adapter...I was recently looking for the very thing you were. I couldn't find any pre-built, so I ended up buying jacks at an electronics store (Radio Shack has them) to make my own adapters.

(I wound up not needing them and my project wasn't the same as what you're trying to do)

I can't speak about the airport express, but the nuForce looks like it should do the trick if the APX works as I would think it does. Depending on your needs and budget, something new and super digital down to a used receiver from goodwill could work.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
So I bought a used amp connected that to the speakers now have a 3.5mm cable directly connected to the laptop. Would it be possible to instead connect the 3.5mm cable to the APX so that I can stream my music from itunes to the receiver?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
To make sure I understand (and keeping in mind what I said above about not really being familiar with the APX) You currently go:

Laptop -> cable -> Amp -> speakers

and you'd like to go

Laptop ~> APX-> Amp -> speakers

From what I understand about the APX, that should work.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
To make sure I understand (and keeping in mind what I said above about not really being familiar with the APX) You currently go:

Laptop -> cable -> Amp -> speakers

and you'd like to go

Laptop ~> APX-> Amp -> speakers

From what I understand about the APX, that should work.

Yes I will be stream wirelessly to the APX. Which I believe is what you meant by the ~.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is there any way to connect speakers that use traditional copper speaker wires to a 3.5mm jack?

I want to connect two circa 180 Bose bookshelf speakers to an airport express for streaming purposes without the use of an amp or receiver.

maybe an adaptor exists.

If you have a airport express it's output jack is the same as on the back of your Mac. It is "line level".

You need an amplifier to drive a passive speaker. Almost any amplifier will do and a very simple one is best. I use an Audio Source AMP-100 to drive a pair of Polk Audio speakers connected to my Yamaha keyboard. The amp is more than powerful enough and sounds good and is not expensive. Also this amp is a good building block for a larger system and you can always use it later for just about anything.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

THe amp takes RCA inputs so you need 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable. These are easy to find and not expensive. Sweetwater is a good place to buy the cable because they sell these with no shipping cost. But I bet Amazon has them as well. OK I just checked type "3.5mm rca split" into Amazon's search box and you get about 50 to choose from.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.