speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reemani, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Reemani macrumors newbie

Why won't my iPhone speaker work without headphones ?? :( please help. Thanks.

2. Reefbone macrumors regular

I'd be concerned if it did work with headphones. (meaning headphones and speaker going at the same time).

Without any details my diagnosis is that the speaker is broken. Genius huh? Seriously though I don't know of any menu options that would turn it off.

Things to try...

1) Close all open apps and do a hard reset
    2) If that doesn't work do a sync.
    3) If that doesn't work do a general reset in settings (just reset settings and not the data in the phone.
    4) If that doesn't work do a restore

If it's not under warranty and Apple won't give you a new one I'm thinking the remaining options are either live with it or get a $199 replacement.

3. aldo82 macrumors regular

4. Reemani thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my iPhone is new, how do I do a hard reset?

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Hold the power button and turn it off. Then turn it back on.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Um don't you hold the power and home button down until you see the apple logo?

7. Reefbone macrumors regular

Yea... Hold both buttons down until it goes off then comes back on. If it's new though it could just be defective. Has it ever worked?

8. Interstella5555, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

sorry, reading comprehension problems.

9. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

other than it being broken, the only thing i can think of is if you are new to Apple products you may be unaware of this but there is a separate volume level if the headphones are plugged in to when they are not, and i believe the standard setting is that on the home screen the volume buttons control the ringer, try playing a song and then using the buttons to turn it up, or the volume slider in the ipod app.

if you already know this, then it may seem rude of me to think you haven't done this but sometimes people overlook the simple things, and it would be be a lot more embarrassing if you took it to the apple store only to find this was the cause.

but other than this, it would be a broken speaker/audio electronics

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Could also be the headphone jack. Be sure it is clean! Blow air into it and work the headphone plug in and out of the jack. Sometimes that helps. :cool:

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL no, I just know one Apple gennyass told me that powering off your device is like a hard reset. In my opinion, he is wrong. But anyway ...

12. Reefbone macrumors regular

good point

13. Reemani thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it work on headphones if it was broken ? The volume is fine and I tried to blow into it and plug the headphone several times it still won't work :(

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It could be a bad headphone jack. Might be time for a trip to the Apple store. :cool: