"speakerphone calls thanks to special audio porting."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledrone, Jun 19, 2008.

1. appledrone macrumors regular

I have just been looking on the apple store web page to see if they are advertising any accessories for the 3g iphone yet, although they aren't, I ended up looking at the current dock specs, one of the features stated as follows

"Place your iPhone in the Dock and enjoy clear audio during speakerphone calls thanks to special audio porting."

does anyone know if this means that the audio is routed through the mac? if not does it make any difference to the speakerphone function when in the dock?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no, its not routed through the mac, it just has special holes in the dock that direct sound out towards you during the speakerphone call, thats all. i wish it went through your mac

3. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

oh well....

Ahh, nevermind, hopefully they can incorporate that in firmware 2.0

thanks for clearing that up:)

4. CKtoph macrumors 6502

You might be on to something actually. Looks like there's more to the new dock than meets the eye :p

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I hope it works better than with the current iPhone and dock. I've tried having a couple speakerphone calls with my iPhone docked and the other person wasn't able to hear me at all. Not only that, but it was pretty hard to hear them as well when it was in the dock. I really really hope that the iPhone 3G has a much louder speakerphone, because the current implementation basically equates to the worst speakerphone capability I've ever seen in a mobile phone...

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The iPhone speakerphone is pretty much the most awful speakerphone in the world. It's about 1 dB louder than the earpiece (at least mine is). Hopefully that's remedied!

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Word! They better get this fixed if they want me to buy another phone. Hell, the volume in general and settings/adjustments for the ringer, text, email sounds is terrible as well. Need more options and needs to be much, much louder. I'd rather have to lower it than leaving it at max just to have hope I can hear it.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Part of the problem with speakerphone calls while iPhone is docked is that it muffles the speaker and blocks the ability to speak directly into the microphone at the bottom of the iPhone. It seems the microphone on the iPhone works like a directional microphone, requiring the person speaking to speak directly into the microphone v. speaking at an angle. IMHO