speakers and cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by heycal, Dec 8, 2014.

1. heycal macrumors 6502a

An Apple store employee told me he likes the Apple case for his own phone. When I said "but what about the exposed bottom on those?" he said the increased risk was worth it to him because the speaker is louder/better in exposed bottom cases.

Is this true? Is decreased speaker quality an inevitable price one pays for increased protection, and that if you really want your phone loud and clear, skip any sort of case with bottom covered, even though they generally have cut outs for the speaker?

2. meistervu, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

meistervu macrumors 65816

Protection from what? If you drop your phone, chances are the bottom will be protected because the corners of the case stick out beyond the uncovered area of the phone, and the probability of the bottom hitting the ground first is 1/6 of the time (OK, I won't take the trouble studying the dynamic of a drop phone and how people normally hold the phone when it's dropped). If you really want protection your much bigger worry with a case like Apple case is the unprotected screen. Why worry about the bottom?

I can understand aesthetic issue with the bottom cut out in Apple cases, but protection worry is overkill I think.

3. its Dale macrumors 6502

i have a case with an exposed bottom and somehow scratched it near the speaker. Luckily Apple replaced it due to a seperate issue

4. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Protecting the bottom of the case is overkill? So all the many cases -- the majority of them in fact -- that offer bottom protection are going too far?

Aesthetically, I guess some people don't like the bottom exposed because it messes up the symetry or something? I hadn't thought of that, but now I might...:eek:

So much for overkill…

But whether you want the protection there or not, does it indeed affect the speaker much to have a case with a bottom on it,, assuming it does have a cutout for the speakers as most seem to?

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

It may be easier to make a case that way, but that's not how I usually make my argument: everyone is doing it, so it must be right.

I still stand by my opinion. I think it's an overkill. I had a 5 for 2 years without a case. I don't notice any scratch on the bottom. Yes, there is a scratch on the side ironically when I tried a case and had trouble removing it.

I tried the Apple leather case for a week and returned it. It was nice and protective but I really prefer the phone without that case on. I can't imagine worrying about the bottom being open. But that's just me. I do take really good care of my things and am a reformed perfectionist. I think if I were the type of person who worry about the lack of bottom protection of an Apple case, I would also worry about the unprotected screen and buy a different case instead.

6. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm the type of person who worries about the bottom of his phone as much as the top and sides of his phone, since all our vulnerable to damage from drops. I also worry about the screen, of course, but don't want to mess with either the look or feel of the part of the phone I'm actually looking at and touching, so I live with that risk.

But a case covering the bottom detracts not at all from the phone-using experience -- unless it's decreasing the speaker performance, which is what I'm trying to find out.

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

As long as the case isn't blocking any part of the speaker I don't see how it can have decreased volume compared to an open bottom case.

8. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps not. Or perhaps there is some other sound waves or amplification involved when a speaker isn't near rubber or plastic? There must be some reason the guy believes an exposed bottom produces better sound.

The case I'm using now has a bottom on it (with a cutout for the speaker), and I really can't tell a big difference in speaker volume or quality when I take it off. MAYBE a tiny bit, at best.

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

I agree. I don't believe that a good speaker cutout at the bottom of a case will not affect the sound quality of the phone enough to make a difference. If you really want good sound, you wouldn't be relying on the internal speaker anyway.

I think there are 2 reasons Apple remove the bottom of the case: a) to accommodate all sort of accessories, and b) to eliminate the weak areas between the cut-outs.

Aesthetically, I think the case would look better with the bottom is covered as well.

10. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

"not" affect, or would affect?

11. meistervu macrumors 65816

You are right; I meant "would affect."

12. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone think cases would affect speaker quality?

13. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Having used both types of cases I don't see any difference in volume or speaker quality.

14. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I guess we can officially dismiss this as a myth perpetuated by an Apple store employeee who was deluded?

Unless someone comes forward and says "Yes, cases with bottoms definitely affect the speaker output" and makes a 'case' for it.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Always consider the source. If the guy was an acoustic genius he wouldn't be working retail. Use whatever case works for you versus worrying over what some store rep told you.

So what's the problem? Why do you need a thread to confirm this?

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, some cases might affect it more than others, depending on design. Then there's the level of the effect--perhaps for the vast majority the difference isn't noticeable or negligible at best, while for some others who are more sensitive to something like that and/or pay attention to more things (for whatever reason, even just because they nitpick) something like that might have more of an effect.

17. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am considering the source: a guy who is around cell phones all day long. It just might be possible that people who work in that business might know more about phones than those of us who don't.

Because what if I didn't conduct the proper tests? Or if I switch to another case at some point?

Sorry if offends you that I was seeking more knowledge and information about this issue.

18. meistervu macrumors 65816

On the contrary, we are no experts. The fact that no one can prove or disprove a hypothesis doesn't validate it.

What it really means was that we are all clueless or couldn't care less to test it out except for one person here.