speakers and sub for my macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cworsley4, Oct 11, 2007.

1. cworsley4 macrumors member

hello i was thinking of buy some speakers and a sub for my macbook pro that go well with the mac theme. i have some all ready but i am interested in some stylish one that are of good quality and band.

2. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

same here.. I'm debating between the

altec lansing fx6021

klipsch pro media 2.1

logitech z-2300

mostly for watching movies/tv shows

3. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I'm leaning towards the Altecs, awesome sound and great reviews, the ProMedias are a tried and true speaker set, plus I run Klipsch towers on my home audio so I'm a fan. The Logitechs in my opinion are too boomy, and not close in comparison to the other two.

Reasons I am not fully pushing the ProMedias is the design is highly oudated. And I royally hate the volume and tone control pod it comes with. Very cheap.

4. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

I think I'm also going with the Altecs as I value clean crisp sound over the stronger base of the logitechs (based on reviews I've read).

My 2nd choice is also the Klipsch because of solid reviews, but I agree their design is rather dull. Nice to know about the poor quality of the control pod.

So looks like Altecs are leading the race. I'm pretty sure they're at par with the Klipsch in terms of sound quality.

5. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Definitely the Altecs.

My flat has MX5021's, FX6021's and the Z-2300's. The Logitechs just don't have the sound clarity that the Altecs have. Oh, and the Z-2300's only have a bass control on the wired remote. Both Altecs have bass/treble and an IR remote as well as the wired control pod.

Personally I prefer the look of the MX5021's.

6. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

Interesting, I haven't really considered the MX5021s but I just did a search and they're about $40 less then the FX6021s. I quite like the design. Do you know if they differ in sound quality?

7. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

If you're really looking for Hi-Fi sound quality, look into some studio monitors. They will blow any "PC" multimedia set out of the water. Look into Alesis, KRK, and M-Audio - they make some excellent equipment that will mop the floor with any Logitech sets and the Klipsch ProMedia. The Altec Lansing set is comparable to some of the lower end, $100-150 dollar range studio monitors, but anything higher will top it, easily. Studio monitors are designed to give every detail in the audio piece exactly as it was recorded, with the most accurate sound quality achievable. Really, if you want the best sound quality, go with studio monitors.

If those are out of your wallets reach, also give a look into the Bose Companion series, great quality.

Peace

8. VoidBoi macrumors regular

The MX5021's do have very slight hissing, not really noticeable, but in a really quiet room you can hear it.

From hearing both of them I think the MX5021's sound nicer, but that could just be that I own them. FLAC sounds perfect to my ears on them. :)

9. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I was really valuing your opinion until you mentioned Bose and great quality in the same sentence.

10. platypus63 macrumors regular

I went to the local music store today to check out some studio monitors, and Tucom you've got your advice spot on. KRK's blew me away... Incredible sound! But... at $200-300 per speaker (400-600 for the pair) it would be bit much for someone not doing any recording, where they could spend it on a decent HT system.

11. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I'm getting some M-Audio DX4 so it's not surprising, I'm going to recommend them as well. I'm currently using some Logitech z680 set but I'm going to relegate those to my home entertainment/gaming centre.

12. supercooled macrumors 6502a

There are some M-Audio models for $150 a pair.

13. platypus63 macrumors regular

Yep, I checked those out as well. They are quite good, and would be excellent for most people, but I am setting up a home recording studio... So my aim is to buy medium grade gear, spend money once, rather than buy low end gear then upgrade later on... Making music is too expensive of a hobby!

14. PMR macrumors 6502

PMR

If you are not into digital input and want to save some $$ the Logitech Z-4 or the white Z-4i. Great all around speakers. Just search for tech reviews.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

If wou want style and god speakers without many speakers you can choose
    - Bose Companion 2 Multimedia Speakers v2 (silver colour - suits well)
    - logitech z 10
    - Klipsch Ultra 2.0 Pro Speakers Creative GigaWorks T20 Speaker System
    ore maybe beolab4 ..i'm considering it even though the price are innsane..
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...mac_accessories/audio_speakers&nplm=TN247VC/A

:)