Speakers better than iMac ones?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matt9013, Dec 19, 2015.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

2. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

In my opinion there really isn't anything worse. Any external speaker set will be an improvement. You just have to decide what price / size / sound quality compromise with which you're comfortable.

3. Tucom, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Couldn't disagree more; I find the - at least newer - iMac's built in's to be phenomenal. Better than many budget speaker systems that's for sure. Very adequate IMO.

EDIT - Sorry, for what sounds better? Anything BOSE or Paradigm will be a very noticeable upgrade. If you're into headphones, check out Beats or Bose. Any of their newer stuff is pretty solid.

4. CooperBox, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I have to agree with Tucom. The iMac built-in speakers are pretty damn good imho - well the ones in my 2010 27" are anyway.
    Of course there's always room for improvement, and last year I went looking for a pair of desktop speakers.
    Auditioned just about everything available, and the ones I preferred were the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1.
    Problem was I couldn't justify the high price of almost $500. They're good, but they aren't worth that sort of money!
    So over a period of 7 months I tracked down a used (near-mint) example at 300€ ($320). I think they are really worth this sound-wise and aesthetically compared to the competition. Here are mine tucked behind the iMac - the sound is truly improved.

B&W speakers.jpg

5. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Maybe the newer ones improved but my 2011 27" sounds laughably bad. My 6S rivals it. I've only heard newer ones in store and not a quiet environment.

6. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I'm doubtful the $30 speakers would sound better than the built-in speakers of any iMac, most likely the opposite.

OP, buying speakers online without getting to hear them first is generally not a good idea. Go to any store that has speakers on display. Listen to speakers in different price points and from different manufacturers to get an idea what's out there, and what you can expect at a certain price level.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It depends on what you're planning on buying. The $30 pair of speakers are just a waste of money.