Speakers Click When the Sound is muted

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celticpride678, Aug 2, 2009.

1. celticpride678

When the sound on my MacBook is muted, and there should be a sound playing (FOR EXAMPLE: EMPTY TRASH), the speakers click. It is almost like the sound wants to play, but does not, instead with a click. This happens every time. Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: It also clicks before it plays a sound too. This happens only when the speakers are not used for a long time. Like a few hours.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not sure about your main thing, but about the edit...

It's been documented for a couple generations of MB and MBP, the sound chip shuts off when not in use to save on battery power. When you play a sound after it's shut off, it makes a short power-on popping noise.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I think I read about that somewhere and it must be normal then. That's fine. Pretty minor.

But, the main thing is a problem and I don't know how to fix it.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I have reset the PRAM and so far, all is well. Hopefully, it stays like that.

UPDATE: I know this is kinda late, but I thought I should update everyone with what is going on:

The speaker clicking continued and I decided to take it to the Apple Store for the third time and finally, something was done. My Mac is now out in repair.