Speakers comparable to Apple Pro Speakers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DewGuy1999, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I currently have the iMac in my signature, that according to Apple specs has an internal 18watt amplifier that drives the two 9watt Apple Pro Speakers.

[​IMG]

Sometime during the 4th quarter of 2010 I plan on getting a Mac mini and will be needing some speakers to go with it. I'm not big on bass so don't really want a 2.1 or more speaker system.

I currently use the Apple Pro Speakers to listen to music (lot's of varieties, my/our tastes are rather eclectic) and watch YouTube Videos. I really like the sound from these speakers. MrsDewGuy1999 has a set of Harman/Kardon HK395 2.1 speakers (from Dell back in '02 or '03) on her PC that I think are rather muddy sounding with too much bass using the sub-woofer and too tinny with the sub-woofer off. IMHO, overall the Apple Pro Speakers are much better sounding even though they're 2.0.

I've read many of the threads on the topics of speakers and know there's some good advice out there (particularly thegoldenmackid's), but what I'd like to know is what currently available speakers would give me a comparable sound to the Apple Pro Speakers?

Before you all tell me to use the Apple Pro Speakers, they use a proprietary connector that can't be used with a current Mac without an expensive/hard-to-find firewire adapter/device.

Thanks!

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I really like the M-Audio Studiophile AV series. The AV20 is small, yet should perform favorably to the Pro speakers. I have the AV40s and love them.