Speakers for a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by speekez, Sep 5, 2007.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a decent speaker set for my mac pro -- nothing too large, doesn't have to be super high end audiophile, but should still have nice sound with a fairly small footprint (esp. the woofer). I used to have Altec Lansing and they were nice.

Suggestions?

2. Pili macrumors regular

price range?

I have the bose companion 3 and i like them alot, pretty small but sound great even when you turn em up. A little pricey tho for what you get.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i have this Creative 2.1 system. small and good enough for me. for anything that requires my utmost audio attention i'll put on headphones; though, my family will attest that this system is more powerful than it looks.

4. bld44 macrumors 6502

I have the same system. Before this, I had a 5.1 dolby Altec lansing system with 5 speakers and a sub the size of a normal computer tower. There wasn't much of a difference between the two!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Which Altec Lansings...The FX6021s are my universal recommendation.

6. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I have the Harman Kardon soundsticks, and the speakers on my three year old Dell peecee were better, and the soundsticks look somewhat phallic.

7. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Regardless of peoples opinions of how they sound (I love 'em), these are definitely a great match for any metal Mac. They take up more vertical space than horizontal, including the subwoofer (which isn't too big, not like what you might get from Logitech).

9. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I have these speakers and they are very very good speakers. They are very reasonably priced too.

I am currently using JBL's Creature II with my MBP which aren't too shabby either :D

10. aliasfox macrumors member

Monsoon MM-1000

Wait for them on ebay. They've been out of production for 4 years now I think.

They usually go for about $150 on ebay, which is about the same price as when new. I have them, they're glorious - you can set them up for completely flat response from 55 Hz to 20 Khz. Macworld raved about them, PC Magazine used them as reference speakers for years - against which all others were judged.

They're magnificently precise due to the one driver planar magnetic design of the satellites - similar in design to multi-thousand dollar electrostatic speakers. No timing issues as you can hear on multi-driver satellites.

My other set of speakers was a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 - cloudy sounding with big boomy bass - and kind of shrill with the grills taken off.

---

Or you could find an iPod Hi-Fi - those sound pretty damn good - better than any sat/sub system on the market today...