Speakers for Gaming - which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm looking for a set of speakers. I'm not concerned about the quality of the sound, I'm more concerned about the punch of the speakers. I want to feel that double-barrel shotgun blast while playing Doom, for example. The louder, the better ;) So I'm not interested in a surround system or anything fancy.

I also want to hook it up to game consoles to use it for console games as well, so I don't want a computer-only set. (I don't have a TV; I use a projector, so it'll plug directly into the game console).

I don't want anything expensive, either. My upper limit is ~$150

Any recommendations?

2. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Go search your local electronics dealer for speaker setups with the most Wattage you can. Don't even concern yourself with brand, just go for most watts per $ if you have zero concern for sound quality :)

3. Greenjeens macrumors regular

That's fairly easy, when you don't care about sound quality. Try to find some very efficient speakers will produce more sound per watt, wether your using an old receiver or a a self powered model, but that might be tough for $150

Try to find some speakers that use horns, Horn tweeter and horn midrange, which last time I looked is basically a KLIPSCH speaker.

Also gt the BIGGEST SPEAKERS that will fit on yor desk or better yet mount them on a wall facing downwards at you, but not too far away. You can make your own shelf or bracket very cheap, just make sure they can't fall off, or you might be getting some real painfull sound effects.

Generally larger speakers are MUCH more efficient than smaller speakers. If you can come by some older Klipschorns...ooopps way to big/expensive, maybe some other horn type mid sized speakers. The kind used for public address or sound reinforcement that are horn loaded would probably rock your boat quite well, and blow your eardrums out in the process, but you asked for loud. Say a horn tweeter and midrange and then a minimum of 8 inch woofer, 10 or 12 would be better and usually more efficient, but definitely look for a horn loaded tweeter and horn loaded midrange for maximum output/efficiency in the high and upper midbass range, which is where much of the punch is! If you need a deep rumble too, then the bigger the woofer the better. It takes more power to repoduce the very low rumble and to get that large woofer to move low frequency air pulses. This is where more power will help. With efficient speakers at least over 92 db/1meter a 100 watt reciver might work. With ~100db efficiency speakers, (which are quite rare except for older Klipsch speakers that, I know of) you might need a ~20 watt amp for thunderous sound.

Remember your ears can be damaged long before your equipment gets maxed out. Hearing is not replaceable and you may want be able to hear soft sounds, like people speaking later!

Greenjeens

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I know a lot of folks really dislike Bose, but I got a pair of the Companion 2 Series II ($99 list), and they are really great. Don't take much room, great reproduction, and a surprising amount of punch, for a set without a subwoofer. I'm very satisfied myself.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I took your advice and seems my best bets are either computer speakers (weird I know) or mini component/compact stereo systems. As the stereo system market is so convoluted with many buzzwords and half-truths, I'll try the computer speaker approach. Unless anyone here can recommend a particular system?

I'm looking at Logitech and Klipsch sets. Seems to give the best bang for the buck. (Literally! :D)

One question though, can I easily convert whatever input cable computer speakers use to RCA inputs?

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

7. curiosa863 macrumors member

8. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I love my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's...I rarely can take them above 2/3 volume b/c they're so loud, but oh so clear. :)

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I keep coming back to the Klipsch ProMedia speakers. Perhaps that's what I'll get.

Just one question, is it easy to convert whatever connection it uses, to a RCA connection (for game consoles)?

EDIT: I ignored the suggestions for Bose above because I know Bose is known for being overpriced. But I went ahead and looked up the Companions. The Companions are surprisingly very reasonably priced, and it does look purdy. They get great reviews, too.

So for those with them, how is the bass? How loud does it get? Can it compare with a dedicated subwoofer that the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's come with?

10. barijazz macrumors 6502

11. smogsy macrumors 6502a

logitech g51 is all you need

5.1 has 2 channel to 5.1 built in so even if your audio is 2 channel ot will convert into 5.1 (hardware wise) it works good to! scares me in games sometimes lol

12. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I can't remember if the Klipsch speakers come with an adapter, but you should be able to find a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable at any Radio Shack or similar store for a few bucks.

13. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

A surround system is out of the question. First, it's useless to me, and second I don't have the room for it. 2.1 or 2.0 is the only ones I'd consider.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

15. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

Mac Pro Home Theater Audio Option

OK, so I just got my new Mac Pro and I've been thinking about switching to the whole digital lifestyle. I've got a 32" CRT that is past it's prime and though I will use my Mac for work, I find myself listening to music on it through headphones and I've been using the built-in speaker more and more, and the wife is giving me the go ahead to move the system from my "office" to the living room. This is a great opportunity to get rid of my old clunk surround sound and monstrously heavy tube TV and get a nice smaller system. But I never gave any thought to this before, the Pro has TOSLink Optical Audio I/O but how do I take advantage of that? :confused:

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

17. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Time to start looking around and getting info. http://www.avsforum.com AVS forum is one place. I'm just about to buy a new Mac Pro, but won't be able to integrate it into a complete sround sound mutlimedia system, since it will cost a great deal to update. I started home theater before they ahd home theater speakers! and no center channel! It's better now, but I still like TWO decent quality speakers and a good subwoofer to listen to good old stereo music!. Surround is nice, but not always needed. I don't need to hear the crowd noise at the concert.

With 2 good quality stereo speakers, not computer speakers, no Bose, etc, more like some accurate musicians monitors that recreate the full range of whatever music floats your boat, with little distortion, muffling or exageratted highs, or a one note thumping bass, instead of all the notes and instruments down their. They cost more money, but will provide years of enjoyment.

My rule try listening to really good stuff, see what the people who mix the music and movies use, and then try to copy that as one's budget permits.

Having 2 great sounding speakers is better than having a bunch of crappy sounding ones. Except for movie sound effects, it's not so critical and getting that enveloping feel adds a lot to movies. But I want to listen to music too!

You can always get a "real" subwoofer later. Subwoofers are not the boxes in most three piece systems that countain an average size woofer, in order to make a small or unobtrusive desktop speaker. Look at how the pros set up a nearfield listening environment, which is what I think many computer user/music listeners should look at first when putting a system together, to get ideas.

I think musicians gear is the best bang for the buck, seems like Home theater audio is overpriced, while musicians use these as tools and don't get manipulated like a new home theater buyer will.

Just make sure and listen to some really good equipment and hear what's possible beyound 3 inch woofers in computer speakers and compresssed MP3 files. No need to be a snob or spend a fortune, but some of those music snobs really are on to some better sounding equipment compared to the low standards that flood computer speaker sets and MP3 song files that throw away 90 percent of the bits. Sure it sounds decent in the car, but there's a reason that all those exxtra bits are included in CD's. Isn't there? :)
    There's good sounding stuff that will bring a lifetime of enjoyment, for reasonable prices, after a certain minimum price point, and will let a person hear where MP3's or many compressed files, just don't provide a listener with the full range or the immediacy and excitment of the original recording.
    Just listen to someone's higher resolution system, or several, before making up your mind or going by comparing specs. Please, it is worth spending a bit more time to get one's ears educated by hearing a greater dynamic range, and wider frequency output, but in a balanced and natural presentation:)

Good speakers last a long time and provide a huge amount of enjoyment, I just hope folks won't shortchange themselves from enjoying their music to a greater degree than is available, far above what the glut of mediocre speakers and over compressed media offer that have dumbed down audio(not to mention some of the uninspired mixing ) across the board.