Speakers for iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleDApp, Dec 14, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I'd like to connect my 5.1 speakers to an iMac. I have the Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System They use three 3.5mm RCA connectors. If it isn't possible, could I connect other 5.1 speaker systems that use optical?

2. Alucai macrumors newbie

Alucai

I'm looking to get an iMac sometime in the near future, and I have the exact same speaker system.

I do not want to have to get a different speaker system, nor will I. I have an external surround sound card by Sabrent, but they have no drivers for Mac.

This is literally a deal-breaker for me. If I can't directly hook the speakers up, is there an external sound card that I can use that's compatible with Mac?

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

So I've decided to sell my system because the only way that it would connect to my mac is with an amp. I have to room for an amp in my room. I'll be getting a nice set of 2.0 or 2.1 speakers.

4. Alucai macrumors newbie

Alucai

Well, that's unfortunate. I've recently been playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for PC, and was reminded just how much I love having surround sound. With 2.1 speakers, you only get the illusion of having surround sound, and that's only with clever sound positioning (for I can't think of what it's actually called at the moment).

Oh, and make sure to get 2.1, as I know firsthand how a set of speakers from a good brand (Logitech) can sound without a sub. (Unless you can deal with little to no bass, and since you used the X-540s, that's unlikely.)

5. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I was looking a set of audio engines, swans or soundsticks, I would like to get 5.1 audio in my room but 2.0 works fine too.

6. Alucai macrumors newbie

Alucai

Well, with speakers like that, ignore my advice about the sub. :p

7. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

8. Alucai macrumors newbie

Alucai

Many of those speakers look like they have subs built-in; in other words, bass shouldn't be an issue (you probably won't be able to feel it like you would with a dedicated subwoofer, like with the X-540s, but you should still be able to hear it fine). The Harmon Kardon SoundSticks III system, on the other hand, does have a sub, and is very appealing with its aesthetics... if you have the decor to match.

Of course, any guidance I can give on speakers such as these is limited, because I've only ever bought my speakers from retailers such as Best Buy, Future Shop, and Tiger Direct. I've never experienced the sound produced by Harmon Kardon, Swan, or Audio Engine speakers.