Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
DO NOT BUY BOSE nuff said, for the price you can get much better sounding stuff. I threw out my Companion 3's, absolutely hideous sounding speakers. Klipsch, M-Audio, and others are FAR SUPERIOR than Bose, I strongly belief Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Victor

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
DO NOT BUY BOSE nuff said, for the price you can get much better sounding stuff. I threw out my Companion 3's, absolutely hideous sounding speakers. Klipsch, M-Audio, and others are FAR SUPERIOR than Bose, I strongly belief Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Agreed - Bose used to be near the top of the pack with their technologies many many years ago, however they are now behind the times. I never recommend them to anyone in any circumstance.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA

Victor

Are there particular models you recommend?

QUiKSR20

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
Neptune, NJ
Are there particular models you recommend?

How much are you looking to spend will be a big factor determining what we can recommend..

I for one would go with Klipsch or Audioengine A2's

I have yet to hear a better speaker in the $199 price range.

On the Klipsch forums we have a saying No highs no lows, Must be Bose.

Aaargh!

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2007
I'm using a Harman/Kardon AVR-130 with 2 JBL Ti-600 floor standing speakers. Gives pretty acceptable (for me) quality.

For reasonable audio quality (stereo music, not surround movie) expect to pay around a thousand euro for a set (amp + 2 speakers), I don't know how prices are in the US so I can't comment on that.

Go to a Hi-Fi shop and listen to the different possibilities. Cheap sets are not worth the money in my opinion. I used to very sceptic about 'expensive' audio equipment, thinking a 300 euro set will do just as well. Listening to a few proper sets changed that opinion pretty quickly. The difference between a cheap set and one a bit more expensive is like night and day. The first thousand euro spent makes all the difference (if you buy proper equipment, not Bose crap) after that you get diminishing returns. (a €1000 set will sound at least 100 times better than a €100 set, but a €2000 set doesn't sound twice as good as a €1000 one).

This is, of course, all subjective and your experience might be completely different. The best advice is to go out there and listen to the different possibilities. And remember that a set always sounds different when installed at home, a good shop will let you test equipment in your own living room.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I went to a local computer store and listened to a few different sets of speakers and choose the Logitech Z-4. They had a better and deeper sound than the Bose and a few others. But to be honest listening to music would be different to everyone, so what I felt is good you might think is horrible. At least the search is over. The local store or should I say repair shop was real nice and plugged in the different speakers so I could compare using the same song.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
So you got something that sounds good to you, instead of what brand it was? :eek:

You chose.... Wisely.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 186

klittle250

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
I was told those sound real bad, so I left them off my list.

Thats what the network guys at work showed up with when I said I needed speakers. They're not bad for free, and better than what I needed at the office, but not worth the $. Klipsch is way better. The Logitech sets suggested are pretty good bang for the buck.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Sure, Klipsch pro-media 2.1, Logitech (the ones you bought) are pretty good bang for the buck, there's always M-Audio Studiophiles AV-40's (quite awesome) Audioengine's A2's amongst others...

Victor

My search has ended as I have purchased a set of Z-4 speakers.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
Has anyone tried these? Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300

Those are great speakers! I picked up some of eBay for £20, and they really do sound amazing for that money. Loads of bass and clarity. Can go loud without distorting aswell. Would definitely recommend.

I used them for about 3 years. Have now got companion 5's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.