Speakers for iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AlexandriaS, Aug 22, 2012.

1. AlexandriaS macrumors newbie

Hi again,
    There are a dizzying array of speaker docks. Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions. I am looking for room filling sound and am willing to spend a few bucks to get it. I put off getting an iPad for a long time because of the price but it was worth every penny! The sound, however, is pretty dismal. Thanks!
    Alex

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

3. Ipaduser88 macrumors newbie

Bose soundlink. $299 and worth every penny. Can't go wrong with Bose.

4. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Arguable.

I'd go for the Bose, as well.

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

AirPlay

For room filling sound, there is no better option than AirPlay. There are AirPlay speaker docks out there, but if you want good sound at reasonable price, going with a set of good speakers hooked up to something like an AirPort express is the best approach IMHO.

Why not speaker docks? Well, for good stereo separation you need some distance between the 2 speakers. And there are a lot of good and affordable speakers out there, many with built in amplified, or if you already have a sound system for the space, use it. Add the AirPort express and you are done. Why pay to limit yourself with a speaker dock. Your old sound system or one you can pick up for less than $100 will sound much better than that. Or if you want a clean solution, a pair of AudioEngine A2 for $200 will sound fantastic, and adding a $90 Airport Express will give you a really good sound system for under $300. And you can use those same speakers with your PC, Mac, your friends Ipod, Ipad, your Apple laptop.

That is my current set up and I am really happy with it.

6. AlexandriaS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the great information

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to give me advice. A special thanks to meistervu. Your information was very useful. I was ready to lay down quite a few bills for the Logitech UAE. Your setup seems the much better option. Thanks again everyone
    Alexandria

7. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I believe with Airplay you mean a APP which can help you stream music wirelessly over your existing speaker system. There are several Airplay APPS on iTunes, which one have you tried and is your favourite ?

8. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I bought an iHome iW1 wireless airplay speaker, it's been great for both an outdoor (not purely outdoor, it's not weatherproof), and indoor speaker using either my iPad or iPhone.

I was lucky, I purchased it a few weeks ago when it went on clearance at FS, ended up scoring it for $160 taxes in.

9. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

B&W Zeppelin Air

I have the previous version of the Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin without the AirPlay function but it is an amazing unit.

I would highly recommend this for you. That is, if you do not go with the separate device setup. I have both and each fulfills a different purpose.

Good luck!

10. Desa macrumors newbie

Oontz!

These speakers came out from Cambridge Soundworks last month. I have the Angle and it sounds great. Best part - they are only $69.99.

http://www.theoontz.com/

11. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

How is the Bass with these, does it break at Higher Volumes ?

12. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

Don't laugh....Logitech Mini Boombox...$80.00 bluetooth speaker! I bought one and the thing sounds fantastic, better than the ubiquitous "Jambox".

Link

[​IMG]

13. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Just checked with the Makers of "THE OONTZ" sad they dont ship out of the United States, would have gladly gone for it at that price :-(

14. meistervu macrumors 65816

More or less. I think of Airplay as the streaming protocol that is implemented in many (most?) current iOS apps. All the apps I use that output sound Music, Stitcher Radio, etc. all supports Airplay. You just use the app as you would with the internal speaker, but instead, select the available Airplay speakers that your iPhone, iPad, or Mac can see.

Another way to put it, I don't think of Airplay apps, but rather I assume that the app I want to use would support Airplay, and so far that has been the case for me.